• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BFG M/T KM2 opinions...

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Since they no longer make my favorite tire of all time, the original Bf Goodrich Mud Terrain, I was wondering if anyone is running these and how happy they are, especially with tread life. They seem to get rave reviews everywhere.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I love mine, I had them siped and that's highly recommended... they are great and are an improvement over the old BFG MT's, I have friends with both and the KM2's do just a little better. I don't know how many miles I have on mine but they're handling my abuse very well.

It's the best tire for the money... When I got mine a couple years ago they were $950 at America's Tire

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I just have 1000 miles on mine and am getting ready to take a 3 week off-road trip in Mexico with them. I will know a lot more how they work after I get back. So far I can tell you they are a lot quieter than my ProComp MT tires which are very similar to the old BFG MT tread. They ride smooth and handle reasonably well on the road. I usually run my MT tires primarily off-road but I have been running them on pavement to make sure they don't have some kind of defect that will show up with some mileage on them. I don't want to have a problem with them in Mexico.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a set that I've about worn out but they lasted well.I put 33x10.5 on my B2 found out my rims are wide enough so I'll be putting on 33x12.5 on there this summer if you find good prices on them post it please.I would pay more for the KM2 over the Mud terrain.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've had the KM2s on mine for maybe 4000 miles now.
Great tires overall for sure, though true-to-size is something they are not (my 35x12.50s when new measured a mere 34.5" inflated to 30 PSI, 15x8" wheel), and IMO, their appearance is a bit bland compared to the KM(1) tires I had before (yes, this is purely aesthetics lol). They're also noticeably noisier.
I haven't really noticed any discernible difference in grip offroad (both tires have been excellent in this regard), however the KM2's tread seems to be MUCH more chip & chunk resistant (my KM(1)s got totally trashed from rocks chunking them all up)..

I got around 35K miles out of my old KM(1)s with about 50% tread left on them. I don't expect the KM2 to be much (if any) different here.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
One of my favorite all purpose tires. I have one set coming up on 19,000mi 50/50 pavement/off road use. They are a little past half tread. I haul a lot of heavy loads though and the off road terrain I traverse daily is pretty rugged for any tire under a heavy load.

They ride the best on pavement. Smooth and pretty quiet. Off road performance is right on par with any other road friendly MT tire. I consider them a great all terrain as they certainly cant compete as a true MT tire against Swampers. They do pretty damn good on rocks and about as good as an AT in the mud. I have thick mud that balls up most tires. The KM2 gets balled up just the same and doesnt clean as well as the tread would lead you to believe its capable of.

Depends really what your purpose for them is but overall they are a great all around tire. I could see 40-50k out of them if they were on a daily driver/weekend warrior type rig.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I was going to add that they aren't great at anything, but they do darn good at most things :)

This will be the 3rd year I've had these tires to Christmas Valley Oregon for a week in April (we do it every year), first year I towed an enclosed trailer over there with the Ranger then wheeled the Ranger :), last year and this year the Ranger is towed there (if you have the means, it's easier...) but the tires do really good in the sand as long as you have them around 10-15psi. I have a buddy that's had a set of KM2's for 5 or so years on his 4 runner and it does darn good on a lot of things

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since they no longer make my favorite tire of all time, the original Bf Goodrich Mud Terrain, I was wondering if anyone is running these and how happy they are, especially with tread life. They seem to get rave reviews everywhere.
I don't know what size you want but there is an offshoot of the KM1 still in production, kind of a KM1.5.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM&partnum=575QR7MTAKM&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

They look like the angled pic, somehow they got a pic of the KM1's for the straight on picture.

The sizes are hit and miss, the 255/75-17 are the OEM tires for Jeep Rubicons. They come out to roughly a 32" tire with a metric to standard calculator, I never actually measured mine. They made some of a different size in a 15" size too and maybe more, it is very spotty to say the least though.

I have about 50k miles under mine with an F-150, ride nice, fairly quiet until a wheel bearing and a balljoint collaborated on a pair of them recently. Still have more than half tread where they didn't get worn funky, gravel doesn't chunk them out too bad either. I get around pretty good in mud (being realistic with stockish sized tires on a fullsize truck I don't go looking for a lot of extra trouble), decent on packed snow and takes no prisoners breaking trail in fresh snow.

For the $125/tire I paid 5 years ago I can't complain a bit, if I could get more at that price I would. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals