• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 4.0 4x4 5 speed 3.73 gears...best tire size?

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I just got told my tire with a nail in it was unrepairable today on my truck, so I am faced with buying 4 new tires and I'm trying to figure out what size I want to go with.

Its a 93 Ranger Supercab 4x4 with 4.0 3.73's and a 5-speed (converted by me from being an automatic).

Door sticker says originally 265/75R15 which is an oddball equivalent of a 31" tire.

My truck currently has 30x9.50-R15's on it which are about 28" tall from previous owner.

With my 3.73 gearing I'm looking at what tire is going to work best for this engine gas mileage wise??

I have been trying to figure out what the majority of 4x4's with 4.0 ohv's came with for tires with 3.73 gearing without much luck?

I would assume 235/75R15's?

Am I better off going to that tire size for better mileage (and cheaper tire price)??

I don't really care about trying to make the truck look like a mudder...I grew outta that a long time ago, lol.

Just want it to be as fuel efficient as possible for dirtbike hauling up in the hills.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
A nail??? I've had nails screws bolts plugged, none ever leaked.

I had a 93, basically the same truck you have. 265 75 15 automatic it was awful on gas

the 94 I have now came with 31x10. It's 5 speed, great on gas they're both 4wd. and both have/had 4. 0

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, when they pulled the tire off they said it was delaminating internally (belt separation), so they refused to repair the hole and wouldn't re-install it on the rim...had to drive home on the spare.

Not the first time this has happened to me, just my luck.

Everything I read states that 265/75R15 and 31x10.50-R15 are about the same size.

I'm just trying to decide what size tire is going to deliver best economy with the 4.0 and 3.73 gearing.

I'm under the impression Ford did the 265/75 tire option mainly for looks to make that model look more beefy and off road capable...I may be wrong?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Stock tire size would give you the best mpg, either 265/75 or 31x10.50, would keep the rpm down since the 4.0 OHV is not a revver like the 4.0 SOHC. 235/75-15 would have less rolling resistance but if you're on the highway a lot would probably use more gas since the rpm would be slightly higher.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals