• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear drum turns backward, not forward. Gotta get to work tomorrow...

hidn45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
sittin' at the bus stop waitin' for a train....
Hope someone can help asap. Long-time listener, 1st time caller....

'95 Ranger 4x4, 2.3 5-spd

Right rear was hanging up off & on, then got bad enough the car wouldn't move forward. Rolls back fine. Wiggled & jerked the cable & got it to turn, but still hung up off & on. Wheel off, drum off, axle turns fine either way. Drum on - turns backward, forward - stops DEAD, metal on metal. I can pull the drum partway off & it turns fine both ways, drum on 1/2 or more, stops.

I'm at my wit's end. Brakes were done not long ago, all new hardware (still shiny, shoes good, drums look like they were replaced too). Nothing scraping, no loose rust flakes, no visible signs of any rubbing or interference, but drum off - turns fine, drum on - stops dead.....

HELP!!!!

Thanks-
Randy

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Try adjusting the adjuster (star wheel). Perhaps, when the brakes were done things were reversed. Easy to do. You could remove both drums and look. They should not look identical.

hidn45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
shoulda mentioned that - turned the adjuster all the way in

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
See if there is a "lip" on the drum. You stated that they looked like they were replaced. Maybe not. Any grooves showing on the brake shoes? There is also a "leading" and "trailing" shoe. One has a longer amount of friction material on it. They could have been reversed. I have actually seen this done. One adjuster was all the way in and one was all the way out. The one side would drag.

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The proper terms for brake shoes are "Primary" and "Secondary" The "Primary" shoe faces the front of the vehicle and has a shorter amount of friction material on it.

See if that might be your problem.

hidn45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, thanks for the ideas Doofy. The primary/ leading/ shorter shoe is forward, secondary/ trailing/ e-brake arm shoe is rearward. The drums & shoes were very smooth & clean, & I knocked all the loose rust/ scale off that I could get to.

Even thought it was still shiny, the right side e-brake cable was rusted up pretty good at the front, so I went ahead & replaced it. That seems to have solved the immediate issue, or at least postponed it enough so's I can get to work tomorrow.... Why it would turn until the drum was halfway on then lock up to a dead stop may remain a mystery for the ages....

Thanks for the assistance, all... Until we meet again.

Randy

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Glad you can get to work. I normally don't have any issues with the ebrake cables because I never use the ebrake. To much road salt and freezing weather here and ebrakes cause problems.

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A similar issue I had was due to a bad wheel cylinder. It stayed partially engaged and the brakes would hang up.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals