• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any one tried oil bath hubs on their 2wd?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ill try to take a pic of the leak today, im betting its on the top side of the spindle because it doesnt seem to leave a puddle in the wheel when its parked but ive got an even band of oil around the inside of the rim, luckily it runs into the rotor and comes out the fins so its not drenching my brakes, its just quenching my rotor from the inside out haha!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You should be able to get a speedi sleeve to fix the seal surface.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill try to take a pic of the leak today, im betting its on the top side of the spindle because it doesnt seem to leave a puddle in the wheel when its parked but ive got an even band of oil around the inside of the rim, luckily it runs into the rotor and comes out the fins so its not drenching my brakes, its just quenching my rotor from the inside out haha!
Some people would pay big money for oil cooled brakes. :icon_twisted:

Is there any kind of a breather with this setup? I know if the breather gets plugged on an axle or gearbox the oil expansion from heat will push the oil through a brand new seal.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
No breather that i know of, just the fill plug and the seal. Ive got 2 parts trucks i can scavenge from this weekend, one is probably in worse shape but theres hope in the second one, plus i ned to steal the swaybar links off said truck so i can extend them and put my sway bar back on, freeway ramps are a little sketchy without them, im sure the lockrite isnt helping me there either.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The lockrite shouldn't make a difference on handling, sway bars definitely will though.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Heres the pic of my oil leak, i didnt touch the oil level between when i cleaned the wheel and when i took the picture, so ive got about 100 miles worth of leak here.

Heres the passenger side for comparison, no leaks since i installed them

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im just not as good as i once was, its been at least 2 weeks since i said i was going to swap spindles but life just keeps getting in the way of truck stuff. Im in the process of buying my first house so most of my free time has been occupied by running around and signing papers and calling people, not to mention its been 100* for the past 2 weeks so my motivation to sweat over the parts truck just hasnt been there. Im adding oil every couple days so keep the hub full and the bearings happy but i will get this problem fixed and then post up a few pics of clean, properly functioning oil bath hubs on my 2wd ranger!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Im just not as good as i once was, its been at least 2 weeks since i said i was going to swap spindles but life just keeps getting in the way of truck stuff. Im in the process of buying my first house so most of my free time has been occupied by running around and signing papers and calling people, not to mention its been 100* for the past 2 weeks so my motivation to sweat over the parts truck just hasnt been there. Im adding oil every couple days so keep the hub full and the bearings happy but i will get this problem fixed and then post up a few pics of clean, properly functioning oil bath hubs on my 2wd ranger!
Sounds like despite the slow leak it's working out pretty good though.... I might have to give this a try when I get around to putting my Ranger back on the road...

Now to just figure out a way to make it work with a 4x4.... it would be nice to not have to deal with packing bearings with grease all the time...

BCWs 1992 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have read every page of this forum and i have to say damn good job this has really gien me the motivation to get out there and fix the problems on my ranger and keep goin that si one nice ranger

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks man, i wish i could still be a part of TRS like i used to be, but life has me in a different spot now than i used to be in. like i said earlier im buying a new house so im going to have a new work shop to start blooming new ideas in so you guys definately havent seen the last of me, im just on a "working vacation" so you can bet when i make my return ill be back in full swing! that reminds me i need to update the build thread with some relevant truck things

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
victory at last, the hi temps finally broke and i got work done. heres my two specimens, one from a 90' and one from a 94'. i cleaned the best looking one up and welded up the wear areas from the inboard brake pad, now i just have to grind-to-fit with an old brake pad and then i can swap ball joints and hope this fixes the leak.

the only difference i noticed between the 90' and the 94' was on the back side of the knuckle where the spindle is swedged to the knuckle, on the 90' it has a tapered hex and on the 94 it has a uniform hex shape inside of a raised and machined nub.

i measured this spindle with micrometers and compared the measuments to BCA / Nationals' published bearing and seal dimensions and everything is within spec so now i just need another window of opportunity to swap out the bad one for the good one

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals