• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hid laws

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Can I get a mod to have this at the top light page for everyone to see and read to understand the laws???

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
We also have a longstanding culture of stupidity based on the light bulb industry's refusal to make quality headlamps for 50 years because of the investment thay had in their cheap ass "coke bottle" production methods.

In short people grew accustomed to having a bright blob of light in fromnt of the vehicle, so when car manufacturers in search of lower aerodynamic drag switched to "euro style" (more properly called "Conformally shaped") headlamps certain IDIOTS
(of which there are many on this earth) that did not make this bright blob of light acted by buying aftermarket accessory lights of dubious quality, IMPROPERLY mounted them then improperly aimed them... and then drive around blind to the concept that they are being complete assholes and blinding everyone else as well as themselves...

That "Bright blob" of light causes their own pupils to contract and it REDUCES their vision outside of that "Blob" of light.

when I see foglights ON when there is no fog I want to slap the shit out of someone.

when I see foglights mounted ABOVE the bumper or behind the grille I
want to take a hammer to them.

It's the people who don't understand optics, lighting or the human eye's response to light and believe old wives tales about lights that improperly install and aim lights that have gotten the government interested in this issue and now I want to hunt down and bitch slap every damned one of them for drawing the NHTSA's attention to this issue.

Because it's THEIR fault, but I will likely wind up paying for THEIR "Crime"

****ers!

Foglights work best when they are mounted as LOW as possible....

if you want lights mounted so they "look cool" don't connect them

But what REALLY gets me ticked off is people who ASK how to circumvent the LAW
and change the wiring of their truck so that the fog lamps do not turn off (as is legally required in 40-some states) when the high beams are turned on.

Beware, ASKING that question is about to get you a warning that TRS does
not condone illegal activity.

circumventing THAT particular law is one of my pet peeves
(as if you couldn't tell from my ranting here:)

Brighter lights aren't necissarily better.

Improperly installed or aimed they are actually a hazard AND an annoyance to others.

what do I run?

My truck is a 1987, so it takes standard 200mm rectangular lamps,
I have Hella "E-code" H4 headlamp assemblies in those positions
(Not sure if they are actually legal in PA but my personal "Give-A-Damn"
on that subject was never installed let alone had a chance to get broken...)

In addition to those I have a pair of Hella 450 YELLOW foglamps mounted to the bracket for my tow bar (a steel structure similar to a snow plow frame)
and above the bumper on my push bar is a pair of Hella 550 Driving lamps

they are ALL wired correctly so that the fogs are disabled with the high beams and the driving lights will only come on when the high beams are on.

I am considering installing a police car style swivelijng spot lamp to the windshield pillar
but if I do I'll replace the bulb with an H1 high beam bulb assembly, essentially an offroad "pencil beam" made by Hella that I kept off my old Scirrocco.

AD

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Can this page locked at the top Lighting/Illumination but so we can still post on it??

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can this page locked at the top Lighting/Illumination but so we can still post on it??
I dont think people are going to want to take the time to read through a 32 page and nearly 16,000 word paper.

Schwinnstingray1964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
2.3 4Cyl
Transmission
Manual

grey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The reason why aftermarket HID bulbs glare so much in a light fixture designed for halogens is simply because of the brightness, color and dispersal of HIDs dont work with the reflector/lens designed to work with the brightness, color and dispersal patten of a halogen. HID bulbs can almost never be aligned properly in a halogen fixture, and even if you get it close, chances are you will still have too much intensity outside of your "intensity area".
If you look at the light put out by a properly designed HID light fixture, you will see that the light output is "cut", seeming as if the light just stops in the darkness(well a proper projector does anyways). This is what reduces the glare seen by other motorists, but it results in a "window" of light (intense light no less) that the driver has illumination in.

I'll take a set of halogens over HIDs anyday, even driving on dark country roads. Thats why vehicles have high beams, and with a good set of driving lights your peripheral is better covered.
:thefinger:

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Been running HID's in my stock housing, yes I know it is wrong and looking into a projector kit for my truck, for over 9 months now with no flash backs, no cop problems or anything. I am going to do my fogs with 6k H-10's some time in the near future hopefully.

There is a huge difference between halogen and HID. I hate riding in my gf's car bc I have not done hers yet, 06 Civic Si. I am going to do hers correctly though with the housing.

(Eveyone draws a gun and takes aim at my head)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals