• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st gen steering column swap?

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Im a big guy and its a tight fit in my 88 reg. cab with my bucket seats. I have always hated how far out the steering wheel is from the dash. I feel like I can steer with my gut better than my hands.

Im wondering if anyone has swapped in a different generation column that fit better or one from a different car altogether .

Im considering pulling my column out and shortening it a couple inches just to make some room between me and the wheel if there isnt a known interchangeable swap.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I noticed this problem also when I put Explorer bucket seats. Swapping to EB BII seats made it some better, going back to a bench since for the 11 years I had the truck with a bench I never once felt claustrophobic in it.

Not really an answer about the steering column but that is my take on fixing my truck with the same issue.

It sucks because I love having a center console. :bawling:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
I agree with you. My 83 Ranger truggy still has the stock bench and I fit just fine. But my 88 Ranger drag truck has 84 Mustang SVO Recaro buckets,home built center console and Cheetah floor shifter. Going back to a bench is not an option in that truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best of luck to you, its too bad they couldn't have given us just a few more inches of cab. :annoyed:

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps a tilt column swap could help some?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Perhaps it's time for some Kirkey aluminum buckets.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A gen 1 tilt column probably won't help at all. Only the wheel moves.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you driving on the street? If not, you could gain a few inches by using an aluminum seat [Personally I would use them on the street too];
https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/16400/SEAT-ALUMINUM-15.5-ECONOMY-DRAG

I use a similar seat in my short course off road truck and with an inch of closed cell foam padding I'm good for several minutes without discomfort. After having rolled once, I want as little body movement as possible when in my race truck. I use Hooker Harnesses as they have a ratchet system available for the lap belt...that sucks me into the seat. It's surprising how much better it is when I don't have to brace myself when cornering and hitting jumps. I realize that you won't hit jumps or corners but it really is best to be strapped down tight in case of accidents. IMO the svo recaros are built for comfort, not racing.

Last edited:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah this is my street truck and I couldnt stand one of those aluminum seats for very long

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
this is what i see on mine.

hi, when i get my 8.8 the seller give me some explo seats, the driver seat have electrical stuff, and the passenger not, it looks realy the same but somehow the non electrical its less tall and deeper, i think its because that havent rail. anyway to install this i have to cut the bases on each corner and weld custom new ones:icon_welder:. now this is good for me but in the future ill get 2 non electrical passenger seats (and hope dark grey). why 2 passenger seats? just because passenger seat always its on better shape than driver seats. btw i cant go back to bench because y swap an 87 jeep xj emergency/hand brake between both seats.:icon_bounceblue: i hope to help a little.
Rick.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Just don't do what I did on my first Ranger...cut the back out of the cab...

It was great for what I wanted to do...move the back of the seat back a few inches...worked like a charm on that...

The problems started when it rained or got cold...but this really sparked my creative genius into full fledged money gobbling project that ended, finally, when the engine blew...

At that point I simply bought an extended cab and went to work on swapping everything over to a carb setup...and another five year project till I got it working right...

Had fun...learned a ton of stuff about Rangers...but cost...ah, well, you can't take it with you even if you wanted to!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well I finally got around to this problem and my idea worked perfectly.

I cut down my column 1.5" and it made a nice difference and the wheel is in a more comfortable position. Due to the angle of the column the farther you cut it the lower the bottom of the wheel will be but with only 1.5" cut off I feel no difference in the slight space I lost between my legs and bottom of the wheel.My arms and belly are much happier now.

Heres how I did it...

I unplugged and unbolted everything for the column and removed with the wheel still on it.

I marked a center line on the shaft tube to keep my alignment once its cut apart.

Then I used my saw to cut just the outer tube and pulled it off the shaft. There is a bolt at end of the shaft that needs to be removed to slide tube off.

I cut 1.5" off the tube then slid it back together and welded it back up.

This bracket needs to have the rivets drilled out so it can be slid up the tube. I had it bolted together in this pic but found once back in the truck they interfered with bolting it back up and had to be removed. Just leave this bracket as two parts and use the mounting bolts to hold everything together once its bolted back to the firewall.

Cut 1.5" off the end of the shaft and I welded a small ball on end to replicate the bolt that was in it.

At this length I couldnt have gone another 1/8",its perfect with my dash cluster.

My wiper lever just touches the gauge in the high position.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Congrats...looks good...

I just finished something similar on a Gen I cab with a Gen III column...I like the old style dash but had to move on to a 96 dash due to other mods...

Really nice turbo project you have there...awesome nice...:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals