• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Focus fuel pump

Tyler M

February 2014 MTOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I'm just trying to get some feedback on a problem that's really got me defeated and making me scratch my head. I've got a 2002 ford focus and the fuel pump failed so I replaced it with an oe ford unit and everything was great for month or so. Then one day driving it just stalled and this time it kicked the check engine light, the car re-started drove it home and hooked up my scanner to it & came up with code P1237 for fuel pump secondary circuit/fuel pump driver module. I cleared the code & the car seem to drive fine but I did replace the fuel pump driver module within a few days of the first scan. A week after the FPDM was replaced was driving the car and it began to buck & snort check engine light came on again & it died. Waited about 20 mins started up & drove home scanned it and the same P1237 code comes up. Cleared the code tried to drive it about a block died again check engine light on for same code. Now the car flat out refuses to start & I can't hear the fuel pump prime. I did some basic electrical test & all seems well I lowered the tank to check the connections and low and behold it starts up and runs great but as soon as I hoist the tank back up it refuses to run. I actually had the car running as I lifted the tank up into position and as the tank got closer to the spot the engine would sputter and eventually die and the same P1237 code comes up. I'm totally stumped, is my replacement pump bad? or is a break in the wiring? any insight is greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This sounds like a wiring issue to me. Drop the tank, get the car started, then wiggle the wiring between the FPDM and the pump, see if you can make it act up.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ I agree.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals