• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ubuntu bunga binga bunga 14.1 Help!

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I finally did it. My laptop got one serious bugger of a RansomFoo! malware infection and pretty much melted down, so I ditched Widows, and swtced to Linux. (Ubuntu 14.1) I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm not geek material either. I can't figure out how to make the wi-fi work, or download software off the web. I need a "for dummies" Ubuntu tutorial, or remote help if it's available. This is all new to me, but a dream realized. I loathe Microsoft and everything it stands for, so I'm in linux world for good. Any good tutorials for beginners? I need wi-fi and software download ability asap. The rest will come. Help! Thanks.:D

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Wi fi issues in linux are common on a good note the ubuntu forums are another good bunch of people and odds are there is a fix for it as for software get real famillar with sudo apt get install

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Learning a new operating system will be like learning it for the first time...and should be because Windows has removed most of the hands-on stuff that could be done to tweak it...I found Mac OS X was getting closer to that, but has plenty of room for tweaks...and that all takes time to find them, implement them, and discovery as to whether they will be beneficial or a hindrance to your OS...

Probably why I haven't ditched Windows on my PC completely...I have a MacBook Pro something or other and can navigate it...but the nitty gritty is something you just have to get down and dirty with...and make mistakes with...to appreciate...and I am essentially lazy so this will happen once the inevitable melt down happens on my PC...

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I have been running Ubuntu for years now. This is where I let my geek run free. :yahoo:
Its a good forum the people there are almost as nice as you guys i run ubuntu on my old acer windows is just to far and resource heavy for it

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Learning a new operating system will be like learning it for the first time...and should be because Windows has removed most of the hands-on stuff that could be done to tweak it...I found Mac OS X was getting closer to that, but has plenty of room for tweaks...and that all takes time to find them, implement them, and discovery as to whether they will be beneficial or a hindrance to your OS...

Probably why I haven't ditched Windows on my PC completely...I have a MacBook Pro something or other and can navigate it...but the nitty gritty is something you just have to get down and dirty with...and make mistakes with...to appreciate...and I am essentially lazy so this will happen once the inevitable melt down happens on my PC...
It is a process. I'm getting there slowly, but surely. The website y'all recommended is great! Thanks. I'm lazy too, but glad I finally made the switch. something called Ransomfoo! absolutely destroyed my Windows OS and all of my files. :annoyed: It's a bad one.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think it was willy that posted a site...I meant to go have a look to see what was up but haven't yet...

I'm sure you will pick it up really fast...I was actually afraid of Macs when I first started working on computers and all that noise...I took a 3 year intensive computer science program and I think Apple/Macintosh was mentioned twice...and not very lovingly...at the time they were not mainstream and were not being used by big corporations (our potential employers)...unless they were talking servers...and even then it was Unix...and once in a while Linux was mentioned by the serious geeks...

I might have some spare time to read up on things now...but still reluctant...:)

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I'm just starting a free course on linux thru EdX. I can't help but if you can get to the site perhaps the course will.
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2#.VJJYKyvF8fU
That is an awesome course, I took it last year. I put a post on it somewhere down the line in the linux thread here.

well worth the time. You don't need a linux computer to get and understand the concepts, but if you do have one or access to one, it does make the labs more meaningful.

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals