• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan belt falling off

stmcmurray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, its happened twice now in the last few months. First, after I hit a big pothole in my friends driveway. Then again yesterday. I parked my car at work and everything was fine, then when I went to leave, it was off. A few years ago I replaced the tensioner to try and eliminate the squeak. I also noticed that it looked like it was slightly twisted, as in, not parallel with the rest of the pullys. After installing the new one, it looked the same, so I just thought that was the way it is. So, I dont know if its related, but thats a little history.
Anyone have any ideas?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe there's a tab in the tensioner that fits into a slot on the block. If you did not get the tab aligned it may be offsetting the tensioner.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
A bent pully could cause belt walking issues or bad idler pully my 5.0 had a bent powersteering pully caused by shotty junkyard pulling

stmcmurray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the ideas. This is my second tensioner pulley. I thought my old one was bent, so I replaced it with a new one, and it looked the same as the original. Now it seems as the belt wears, its easier to walk off. Has anyone else with a 3.0 actually looked at their belt setup? I will get a picture of it if I can so you can see what Im talking about.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Pictures help another thing to do is get some string and route it where the belt goes along the middle ribs if it falls in the same ribe all the way around then your alignment is good. If that checks out pull your spark plugs and turn the motor over with a bar and watch where it walks off which ever pully it falls off of is the one that needs replacing.

stmcmurray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still havent got pictures yet. Another good idea, but Im afraid I dont need a string to tell me if its aligned or not, I can see it clear as day. And manually repeating it would be impossible. Its only done it twice in a few months and I drive an average of 100 miles a day.
Ill go take some pictures now.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Only happing a few times in 1000 or so miles makes me think its a idler pully more than an accessory pully

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Swap the idler- mine used to slip off at the mere suggestion of moisture. I messed with everything before buying a new idler, which did the trick.

swifttony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It maybe due to worn tensioner, idler pulley or pulley alignment. Fan belt must be also be worn out.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever replace the belt?

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Did you check in the little hole in the block for a broken off tab from the original tensioner?

stmcmurray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all of the ideas. I totally forgot I started this thread, and only found it when I googled my problem again. Haha.
Lately it has got much worse, and I realized it happens when I go through puddles. I'm going to get a new tensioner and belt again, and double check that everything goes together correctly. I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals