• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Escape ABS Light on

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I know this isn't a RBV but many of you have knowledge beyond rangers so I thought I would ask

As the title says the ABS light is turning on in our 2003 Escape. It is off when vehicle is first started but comes on shortly after driving. I have verified the ABS system is going off stamping on the brakes and experiencing the brakes locking up.

I have no idea what to do to further diagnose this. I've plugged into the OBD2 port but it has no codes so evidently isn't linked to the ABS system or my simple tool can't get that sort of data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Brake to a stop gently. If you get any sort of phantom (seemingly unwarranted) ABS activation, probably around 5 MPH, then inspect the tone rings carefully.

They are prone to breaking. 90% of the time it's the front ones. New rings can be had for $5 to $10, no need to replace the whole shaft.

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I'll check that out.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
no phantom activation. Seems pretty smooth. ABS light comes on after about 15 feet or so. Front tone rings look in good shape. passenger side looks like it was replaced once, it is nice and shiny.

I am not having much luck finding where the rear tone rings are. Haven't tried pulling a wheel. Looks like drum brakes wondering if in there.

It be nice if I could get a code out of this thing to tell me why it turns on the light. My basic OBD2 shows no codes.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Found the rear ones. Tone rings look good on all four wheels. Sensors in place, no obvious breaks in cables to them.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've plugged into the OBD2 port but it has no codes so evidently isn't linked to the ABS system or my simple tool can't get that sort of data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Not all code readers are capable of reading ABS codes. Can yours read ABS codes, or is it a less expensive unit that only does engine codes?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could try posting or searching on Escape City.
That's not going to yield different results without codes. Codes are paramount to starting diagnosis on any electronic control system with a MIL light on.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mine is very basic and doesn't read ABS codes.

Took it to a shop, shop says it needs new ABS control module.

I have no way to know if that is accurate or not.

I am getting told the part is a bit over $800.

I think I saw a remanufactured on rock auto for <$300

Any idea how difficult these are to replace?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually replacing the ABS module is not difficult, two to four bolts, one big plug, and a bunch of lines, if it comes with the HCU attached.

Bleeding it is the problem because you need a scanner to purge the air out of the HCU.

Now to answer the inevitable acronym question.

All ABS modules are made up of two main components. The ECU and the HCU.

The ECU is the electronic control unit and it is the piece that receives and interprets the signals to the ABS system, and actuates the valves and pump. It is black, plastic, and has the plug.

The HCU is the hydraulic control unit, it contains the valves, accumulator, pump, and fluid passages. It is usually an aluminum block with the lines in it.

Some vehicles they can be serviced separately, some they are only available as one piece, and on some vehicles like the Windstar they are available individually but you are asking for trouble trying to replace one and not the other.

In the case of the Escape the ECU can be replaced by itself, but it is a bit difficult to get out without removing the HCU, unless you have a lift.

Oh, and it need programmed.

Do you know what the codes were? There are only way I condemn a ABS module on codes alone.

1) If the code is for the ABS power relay stuck, as the relay is part of the module.

2) If it's a Windstar and ALL the ABS codes are there.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Adsm08.

If scanner is needed to purge out the air than that would be a problem for me.

Would the code have a C prefix? I don't have details but I recall a CXXXXX code associated but I don't know if that was code obtained from the vehicle.

The real rub on this whole thing is that I personally HATE antilock brakes and if this was a vehicle I drove I would just ignore it...although there may be some liability issues....

But this is the one my daughter drives and in 10 days, right after thanksgiving, she is moving out to Utah for a job in a ski restore area. She will be in snow almost 6 months of the year. To me ABS and snow is about as bad as it gets...but she is a new driver, just 20 and...I have no idea how dependent my daughter may have become on ABS to prevent spin outs and such.

And between this and my explorer that appears to have the coolant leak problem requiring changing the intake maniford, the shops are quoting me enough that I could just go out and by myself another BII.

At least with the explorer I don't have to do anything right now....The Escape I have that 10 days.

Hisses at it all!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals