• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 4.0 coolant leak

Christoph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking at buying a 91 Explorer for $400. The guy says it's leaking coolant between the engine block and transmission. He fills it every time before he goes out and only takes it on short trips and when he drives it, it leaks fairly quickly he said.

He's guessing a rusted freeze plug.

Any other ideas and difficulty in repairing (ie. is it worth it to buy)?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Core plugs are a BITCH to change because you almost always have to pull the engine to get at them.

It could instead be a loose/blown lower intake gasket (much easier) or a blown head/head gasket (much nastier).

You're going to have to get a look at it to decide if it's worth it. The cost of the other parts are worth more than $400, but is it worth it to you to tear it up and sell all the crap if it turns out to be a two ton paperweight?

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's the same area that Mweidner's 4.0 was leaking from. It was the lower intake gasket on his.

Take a rad. pressure tester with you, and then see if you can see the leak. I'd say go for it if the rest of the truck is ok, and there isn't any oil/antifreeze mixing.

Christoph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to take a look at it tomorrow. It's needs a few other things like the 4wd shift motor and a couple electric window motors need replacing also. Overall, it's a decent truck except for the coolant leak.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the core plugs on the back of the engine are EASY to get at... AFTER you've dropped the transmission...

Even the ones on the backs of the cylinder heads are easily accessable when the tranny is on the floor.

AD

Christoph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well it doesn't matter now. The guy sold it while I was on my way there to look at it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals