• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can you use a 96 fuel pump on a 96 fuel tank

rangerdriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put a 96 engine into a 98 truck. The truck's engine was seized, and I had a 96 2.3 in great condition. Beautiful low mileage 25k with auto. I put it in a 89 the year before and it drove great, but I am large and the 89 was small. I was cramped, and it would hurt my back sometimes. After a few long days in the 89, I went looking for a supercab. The 98 is nice and it will look really good when I am done, and hopefully get decent gas mileage. Plus, it will have about 25 k on it.

The fuel system is different on the 98 and the 96 fuel pump has about a 4 in diameter plate while the 98 gas tank has about a 7 in dia hole. The 98 fuel pump has a different electrical connector, a different return line, and I am thinking the way to go is to remove the little gizmo under the return line(somehow) and hook up a tube to reroute it to the bottom of the fuel pump like the 96 + 97. I am not sure about the 98 fuel pumps electrical connector, it is different from the pre 98 and I'm not sure if it wires up the same or works the same way with the fuel relay. I could splice it to the 96 wiring if it would work. Could I graft the 96 tank fuel mount onto the 98 tank, what would you use? I could cut out the 98 opening square, and the use the 96, cut it out a little bigger and bolt the whole unit on the 98 tank. what would you use to seal it? Whats impervious to gasloline?? This could be my best bet.

Do you guys know what will hold up against the gas in the tank? Silicone? Probably not. Butyl rubber? JB Weld? Liquid Steel? Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty? Could I make the 89 tank fit the 98 chassis?

* PLEASE * HELP * send an email to okcmpe1@wmconnect.com

I will send an Alpo dog biscuit for your dog if you help me figure this out.
Anybody done this swap? a 97 or under engine to a 98 up body? Jeez it can't be this bad.
THANKS

:idiot:

ToyTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why not just swap tanks? I haven't looked at it, but I'd think the worst you'd have to do is fab up a set of straps for it and plumb it in.

If you want to mod the 98 tank with the 96 pickup, then I'd cut the 98 tank as well as the 96 tank and have a shop WELD the 96 plate into the 98 tank. If you can't/won't/don't want to do that, then you could just get some gasket material, sold at any decent parts store, which is to say NOT Checker/Schuck's/Kragen/Autozone etc. Cut an appropriate gasket out and apply some kind of sealant. Personally, I'd go with a good quality anaerobic sealer, but I'd bet you could get away with something like the regular old blue form-a-gasket.

Again, BEST way is to have it welded. Alternatively, you could just use cork or felt gasket material and a good quality sealant.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
why cant you just use the 98 pump like it is? every pump ive ever seen, just has a hot and a ground.

rangerdriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The trucks have plastic tanks in them. They are form fitted to the chassis and components. I may cut an old tank just to see if if will work.

Maybe the 98 pump will work, the pump motor, plumbing, and wiring is different inside. I suppose if you put the electric to it it would work like any other. That may be my best and safest way to go. If it doesn't explode.

Thanks

rangerdriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They also have these custom made high pressure for fitted and curved lines. You can't cut them or bend them too much. I wonder if there is a way to use steel or copper lines.

But the tank is plastic, a tight fit too, so the gas line ends up right where they are supposed to on the tank.

A steel tank would be good right now.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
post a pic... goint to the pump ,there should just be a red and black(hot and ground). you can cut and solder them in

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i may not be understanding this right, but you have a 98 truck with a 96 motor? why cant you just leave the 98 pump in it and roll?

rangerdriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes and I think a couple of wire for the float. Shouldn't be too bad

rangerdriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i may not be understanding this right, but you have a 98 truck with a 96 motor? why cant you just leave the 98 pump in it and roll?
Yea, thats the gist of it. Well the fuel system is different from 96 to 98. Maybe the 98 just pumps enough gas to run the motor, while the 96 supplys an abundance of gas and returns what it doesn't use. I don't really know. When I first put in the 96 engine, the fuel pump wouldn't work with the signal from the 96 engine, or it wouldn't come on and pump gas. Now I have the 96 wiring in the whole truck, so maybe I should try it again. I think I can put the 96 pump motor onto the 98 bracket/ holder that goes inside the tank. I just have loose wires to deal with. A capitol idea you have there bottledgt.

Anybody ever changed a fuel pump motor? Just use clamps to hold it in place?
The inside pipes are different espescially the return line. Inside, the 96 has tubing with a tip that shoots down on the filter sock, and the 98 has a kind of stubby short knobby thing right up top. I don't know if the pumps work the same way holding pressure or if the 98 uses a return line, or is it just for vapor?
I think I'll hook it up and see, but apply power from 25-30 feet away.

Last edited:

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if you can post a pic of both i can probably tell you whats going on. maybe the 98 is a returnless style, i dont know. im not up on my ranger pumps, but ive changed many a mustang pump and others. my 94 has a mustang pump in it. they are all the same that ive seen up to the 94 so i dont know

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you should be able to use the complete 98 fuel system just like in the 98 truck.Did you use the 98 intake and sensors over on the 96?As long as you use the 98 parts the engine itself won't know the difference.How did you put the 96 engine in the 89?Did you redrilled the block oe use the 96 electrices?

rangerdriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No I just used the 96 wiring harness and dash in the 89. I cut a hole in the firewall to mount the PCM.

The 98 had a 3.0 so I couldn't use the intake.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You should dig up a wiring diagram for the 98 pump and supply power and ground to it to test it first thing. Are you sure you have power on the harness going to the pump? As long as it runs the regulator on the intake will regulate the pressure for you. If the pump is good then all you should have to do is splice the wires to your existing harness. I wouldn't try to cut the tank and reseal it unless you like gas leaks and a gas smell all the time. If nothing else buy a complete 96 extended cab tank and install it with your old pump.
John

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
exactly...tank cutting is crap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals