• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd to 2wd ttb conversion

coreyan21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
built sbf 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all! I have been building an 88 ranger prerunner for a few months now and am nearing the end. I have done nearly everything on it twice because I am never satisfied. I was originally just going to leave the factory front 4wd axle in it and run no drive shaft or transfer case but I have decided that I want to cut that extra weight out since I have everywhere else. I have seen some wicked sweet aluminum 2wd axles in pictures but can not find them to buy anywhere. So now I am debating on making my own tube style to bolt into existing radius arms and using 2wd spindles or sliding a 2wd ttb setup in there but I'm not sure if that would be compatible with the James duff lift and radius arms I currently have on there. Any input, help, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :icon_thumby:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Kinda backwards from what most people want, you caught me a little off guard haha! My first thought was 2wd b2, they have a front axle that matches the dimensions of the 4wd axle, but without all the driveline stuff. Normal 2wd rangers have a similar but different setup. I like the idea of tubular beams as well, I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It would just be easier and cheaper to go find a 2wd truck to start off with. Turning a 4wd truck into a 2wd means you're going to need to find and replace the engine crossmember.

coreyan21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
built sbf 302
Transmission
Automatic
Well it wasn't going to be a race truck to start with then one thing led to another and here I am. Hahaha I already have the new motor where I want it in comparison to the cross member so I would rather not replace that. With the original build I went with the James duff stage 3 lift so I'd like to keep those radius arms and coils if possible to avoid pissin away 1800 bucks. So if the 2wd easy saw is out I'm left with creating a tubular setup or finding one of those sweet ass aluminum beam setups I see from time to time in pictures.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
2wd Bronco 2's used beams that utilized 4x4 hardware. They would bolt up to the frame side mounts, but I don't know about the radius arms.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2wd Bronco 2's used beams that utilized 4x4 hardware. They would bolt up to the frame side mounts, but I don't know about the radius arms.
As far as I know, the radius arms were all the same, 2wd or 4x4

I_TarantulaX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 4x4 beams are forged so they could be cut and rewelded with tube to make your own 2wd beams, while you are at it you could widen the front end if you wanted to. I imagine you could reuse the 4wd spindles.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
AFAIK the 4x4 beams are all stamped steel and can be welded. Early tib beams are forged and can be heated and bent and welded. Later tib beams will have a "do not heat or weld" embossed on the beam.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals