• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coffee cream goop in radiator!

johnnycash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello folks. I have a 1993 ranger 3.0 v6 4x4 automatic. I am getting coffee cream goop in my radiator. Engine and auto trans oil looks fine. I temporarily bypassed the trans cooler and drained the radiator. After time for the engine to cool each time i flushed it with dish detergent (regular strength dawn), filled wth water and there was less goop. I flushed it 4x total. 3rd time used a radiator flush cleaner to annihilate a few stubborn goop deposits . The goop returned after 10 minutes at an idle. The truck has never been overheated in the 3 years i have owned it. It runs well within normal temp range now too. Spark plugs look clean and no missing/misfiring is occurring. No coolant or water is in the oil and i have normal looking exhaust condensation for the 45-50 degree weather i am in. I am changing the oil today. In a senior moment i put 1.5 qts too much in. Drove it 150 miles that way. Can that go from crankcase to radiator??? Or...anyone thinking head gasget or worse? Thx johnnycash

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trans cooler in rad is most likely source, but if that has been eliminated then your are pretty much left with head gasket, but not having reverse transfer is unusual, i.e. coolant in the oil, since warm engine cooling system pressure of 12+psi remains after engine is shut off(0psi oil pressure), so that should push coolant into any breach in oil passages

With engine cold and rad cap off, fill rad to top, start engine and watch coolant level, it shouldn't surge up and overflow, let it idle, with cap off, until thermostat opens, about 5 to 8 minutes, you may get some overflow as coolant warms up and expands(around 5min mark), feel upper rad hose it will be cold until t-stat opens.
Then watch for bubbles.
Assuming engine has been heated and cooled a few times before test there should be no air in the system.
If you see continuing stream of bubbles head gasket is blown.
You can confirm this with the Glove test.

You did flush the Overflow tank, right?
Goop can be sucked back in from there, but not in 10 minutes

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Wabbout residual goop in the heater? I also wonder about coolant in the ATF. ATs don't like water.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

johnnycash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Some improvement!

Thanks to all. I reconnected the trans lines, changed the oil drove it on several trips. No water is in the oil or trans fluid. I changed the oil/filter and the old oil and new look excellent. I will watch for bubbles. I think that excessive bubbles would have caught my eye. Will watch for the thermostat to open and observe again. "hopefully" it is starting to clear... I am going to specifically flush the heater core and reservoir. This is a sweet old ride and i will fix it or get it fixed whatever it requires. This is my favorite ride of all time. Thanks for the advice! I will post an update asap and some pics that might help someone on down the line. You folks are a plus! OH- IT 'S RUNNING COOL AS ALWAYS TOO.

Last edited:

johnnycash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
. UPDATE Nov 8 2014. Due to hurrying one day I poured coolant from a blue Walmart jug into the overflow. It was hot that day and the liquid was thin. I picked the jug up while the outside temp was 32. The liquid was thick... Walmart brand oil that I use in another truck that has over 600K. Yellowish oil in the blue jug looked green. Stupid mistake. It is flushed out now and I scrubbed the OVERFLOW reservoir out with dish detergent. I discovered the white plastic rad fan has lots of cracks. Getting one from NAPA and will be driving it again MONDAY. New radiator and hoses etc... have a laugh and learn at my expense. Like Karl Childers in 'Sling-blade' I should always start with the simplest things first. Just glad my truck is okay...Aighthen. I like them french fried potaters. Uuumh. THX JOHNNYCASH

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals