• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disconnect or remove sway bar

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am rebuilding the front end on my truck. I know I can get more flex without the sway bar installed . I am also using the truck for DD. Has anybody removed the sway bar and drove on the street? Has anybody made or installed a disconnect?? I am looking at making my own. My truck is 4 x 4

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I took the front sway bar out of my Ranger with the 35 swap. I haven't had any issues, or noticed a lot of extra body roll or anything.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I made sway bar disconnects for my Ranger. I only disconnect them when I know I am going to need some extra flex in some tough terrain. I don't like the feel of the vehicle on the road without the sway bars connected. I am sure if you don't push it in the corners like I tend to, you would be happy with no sway bar. I like to zip around corners and get too much body roll without the sway bar connected.

I think around town it would not be so bad but on higher speed highway corners you could start noticing the body roll. No sway bar does improve ride little when hitting uneven side to side bumps and washboard.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I made sway bar disconnects for my Ranger. I only disconnect them when I know I am going to need some extra flex in some tough terrain. I don't like the feel of the vehicle on the road without the sway bars connected. I am sure if you don't push it in the corners like I tend to, you would be happy with no sway bar. I like to zip around corners and get too much body roll without the sway bar connected.

I think around town it would not be so bad but on higher speed highway corners you could start noticing the body roll. No sway bar does improve ride little when hitting uneven side to side bumps and washboard.
The front sway bar seems to make a bigger difference on the IFS trucks though. Terry's profile suggest a TTB truck.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The front sway bar seems to make a bigger difference on the IFS trucks though. Terry's profile suggest a TTB truck.
Yep its a TTB. I already have bump steer from my 2 inch springs. I am thinking about a steering dampener, but am not so sure about the sway bar. My truck is used for work and trails. A d35 is in order down the road though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That could be. My 89 TTB STX had sway bars front and rear and I never disconnected them so I don't have any experience there to say one way or the other. Back then, I think I only even went to the effort of airing down the tires one time when I had to climb a long, steep, sandy hill. Otherwise, I drove the heck out of it as it came from Ford with the addition of 31" AT tires.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That could be. My 89 TTB STX had sway bars front and rear and I never disconnected them so I don't have any experience there to say one way or the other. Back then, I think I only even went to the effort of airing down the tires one time when I had to climb a long, steep, sandy hill. Otherwise, I drove the heck out of it as it came from Ford with the addition of 31" AT tires.
Yeah, my sway bars got ditched with axle swaps. I wouldn't mind putting them back on if I could find all the right brackets, but it isn't a high priority because I never noticed a big difference under sane driving conditions.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm running no sway bars, around 6" of lift and 35" tires, has body roll but is stable... No steering stabilizers and drives just fine even with the alignment all over the place (it pulls to one side some, and camber isn't perfect, caster isn't great either with just the radius arm drop bracket...), with TTB unless you're doing something top heavy or trying to go fast on the pavement, I don't think sway bars are needed.

Like adsm, I ditched the sway bar with the D35 swap, have thought about installing one but I just got used to the body roll. Even though it's mostly driven offroad, it has towed a fair amount with no ill effects.

For your steering, you kinda need a drop pitman arm, they're spendy but not too bad for the small drop arms...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Like adsm, I ditched the sway bar with the D35 swap, have thought about installing one but I just got used to the body roll. Even though it's mostly driven offroad, it has towed a fair amount with no ill effects.
Even being top heavy I never really missed it much. I'm not lifted though.

Years ago I used to I used to run a twisty back road often, it was the quickest way from my place to Wal-Mart. I would actually drift some of the corners on that road and the truck took it well. I doubt I could do that without the sway bars, but I won't be doing that anyway with the 31s at stock height.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My front bar is connected right now. But rear is disconnected. 6" lift and 35's. Drives fine. I have driven it with the front disconnected also and really didn't notice a difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals