• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel system question

memorex402

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the 2.9 engine. While changing a fuel pump and fuel line to the pump a fitting got broke. The fittin is on a black box that sits right beside the tcase. I beleive this is an accumulator. The feed and return both hook up to this. My question is... Is this an accumulator? Where can I order it? And could I possibly by-pass it with no problems.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
I had the same thing happen to me. the accumulator is mounted under the cross member and beside the t-case(it has a bowl threaded on the bottom of a square shaped box and 4 plastic fittings coming off it) I by-passed mine with a couple of fittings and have had no problems with the inline pump. I tried to find another one at j-yards and even the dealer with no luck. good luck.

memorex402

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the response. I guess I will bypass it later this week once I have time. You have no problems with it once the motor gets warmed up? I saw a post somewhere on the net claiming that it would cause issues when the motor got warmed up.

Jason_J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check rockauto.com thay have stuff others dont

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
No problems at all when the motor is warm, from what i have read the accumulator came in a couple different styles... 1. a regular accumulator that just acts as a fuel reservoir to help feed the inline pump, 2. a fuel filter/accumulator (same thing as the first one) but with a fuel filter sitting in the bottom of the bowl. Both of them look the same and i am not sure how to tell what you have unless you screw off the bowl (not recommended, a pain in the a** to screw back on while not messing up the o-ring) I have been running without mine for almost 2 years without any problems. I hope this helps and good luck.

79F1504X400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,6.6L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah...good luck with that. I *thought* mine was suppose to have an accumulator.....wasted some time investigating and talking to the parts counter at my local dealer.....no luck.

NewFordOwner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Automatic
What you're talking about isn't an accumulator it's the fuel filter housing assembly. Has 4 ports, 2 for the fuel lines and 2 for the return. I'm assuming you've got a dual tank system, in which case it acts in a way similar to an accumulator.
is what you're looking at, and to answer your question: Yes. Check out this thread.

TerryXn9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i know this thread is old but i have an 86 as well without the dual tanks. The bowl on mine is deeper and the filter i took out was extremely dirty. The old filter and the new on do not sit all the way to the top of the housing. Would this be a accumulator then? If so i didn't see an inline filter after the high pressure pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals