• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gen 2 Fuel pump and tank into a Gen 1

echo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I've got one of those 87 with the 2 fuel pump systems and the high pressure pump is gone. I was offered the pump and tank from a gen 2 truck that had been rolled over. Did some checking, my 87 pump runs at 90-100 psi. The gen 2 pump runs 89 psi. Since the 2 tank pumps are quite different is shape the idea was to replace my entire tank with the one from the gen 2, replace my high pressure pump with fuel line and just run the one pump. Has anyone tired this before? Both being V6 trucks could this work? Worried about starving my engine of fuel. This would also bypass why there is no signal at the high pressure pump on my truck but there is at the tank pump. Brand new to this site and rangers so I hope I can find some insight here.:dunno:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, the intank pump setup from the gen-2 will work as far as feeding the engine fuel. filler tube is different, straps might be(?). ohms for the fuel gauge sending unit might be different, too. But could observe while both tanks are out of the truck. probably will want to take the frame mounted canister out of the loop.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This would also bypass why there is no signal at the high pressure pump on my truck but there is at the tank pump.
Missed this earlier - no power to the high pressure pump ?? on my '88, there was only 1 wire that ran both pumps with a connector right down kinda by driver's side frame rail (12v+ after inertia switch). where did you ground your meter?

echo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I have a separate connector near the trans mount for my high pressure pump. Grounded it both through the harness and the frame and no signal. The pump swap from the gen 2 seems to have worked so far. Instead of swapping tanks or sender units I simply took the high pressure pump off the gen 2 sender unit using it in place of my low pressure pump. Put it all back together, some fuel hose in replace of my high pressure pump. Primed it 3 times by turning the ignition off an on then it fired right up. Need to take it for a good highway run with some hills to know for sure that it will keep up. But so far so good.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the update and keep us posted how it works out, could save someone a lot of hassle down the road.

echo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Success! The gen 2 in tank high pressure pump runs my gen 1 2.9 just fine. Simply pull the low pressure pump off my sender unit and replaced it with the high pressure pump.from the gen 2 sender unit. Needed to change the wire contacts to the motor and shorten the rubber connection hose but that was it. Dropped my sender with the new pump back into the tank and filled the space from removing the inline pump with fuel hose. Truck fired right up handles a torque load, 4x4ing and will pull 120 on the highway. No lag at all.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
sounds good

Sounds good the gen-2 pump will work. What year is gen-2, 92 or 95.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals