• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

White smoke pouring out the exhaust

Chrisleon668

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Truck runs fine for the most part but is pouring white smoke out the exhaust only when I get on the throttle... not over heating oil pressure is normal... it does have a bad oil leak but didn't start doing this till this morning... help!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Smell the white smoke, if possible, coolant passing thru the engine(head gasket issue) has a distinct smell, sweet, like burning coolant, lol.

Are you losing coolant?
Do you have to "top it up"?

Overheating or Coolant in the oil are last stages of a blown head gasket so you don't have to have that, to still have that problem.

Cracked head acts the same as blown head gasket except you would never get coolant in the oil.
1987 2.9l did have that issue with the heads, I think it was fixed in the '88 or '89 model year.

Anyway there is a simple and free test to see if head gasket or cracked head is the problem.
The Glove test
Cold engine
Remove rad cap
Remove overflow hose from rad
Remove Coil wire from distributor cap or coil, you want a no start

Plug overflow hose port on rad, gum, vacuum cap, hose with bolt in the end, ect.....

Put a Latex glove over rad cap opening, and seal it with a rubber band, you can also use a balloon or even a condom in place of the glove.

Now crank the engine and watch the glove
If it just lays there then all is well
If it starts to bounce then you do have a cylinder leak, i.e. blown head gasket or cracked head.

If it bounces remove 1 spark plug at a time and crank engine, when it stops bouncing the last spark plug removed was from the leaking cylinder.
reinstall that spark plug to confirm.

Knowing what cylinder is leaking does not help fix anything but it can help you ID a cracked head or blown gasket when you get things apart.

If you pass the glove test and are losing coolant then could be lower intake manifold gasket is leaking coolant into a cylinder intake runner, via the coolant crossover passage, very rare occurrence, but can happen.
On 2.9l that would be either cylinder #1 or #6 I think, #3 and #4 would be possible but an even longer shot that #1 and #6.

You can check #1 and #6 spark plugs, pull #2 as well for a "this is what it should look like" plug
If either looks "steam cleaned", very white porcelain then it is being steam cleaned, by leaking coolant.

IF(big if), you passed the Glove test then best bet would be to plan on changing the upper and lower intake gasket.

Last edited:

Chrisleon668

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for info but I am not leaking any coolant

88rangr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L FI
Transmission
Automatic
Truck runs fine for the most part but is pouring white smoke out the exhaust only when I get on the throttle... not over heating oil pressure is normal... it does have a bad oil leak but didn't start doing this till this morning... help!
White smoke could also be brake fluid do to the seals in the power brake unit have started leaking, vacuum pulls them into the engine to burn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals