• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Engine Replacement

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'd like to get a Long Block and put together and get into my bronco 2 so I can continue to drive it, but what exactly is missing from a long block that I would need to swap over from the current engine?

Yeah I know everyone wants to do 4.0 swaps but I'd rather just keep the vehicle original, I could care less about power increases, its just a daily driver.

I'd like to put a replacement engine in and then go through the current engine and rebuild it. Junk yard engine isn't exactly something I'd be willing to take a risk on, may end up with something worse than what I have now, at least the engine in the B2 currently is running, I drive it daily, but the valve train noise makes me very uneasy, it runs and drives, but that rattling isn't very promising...and not sure how much longer it will run like this before something fails LOL.

I was looking at a long block which is about $2,000 plus whatever else I'd have to add to it to make it a complete engine.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I'd like to get a Long Block and put together and get into my bronco 2 so I can continue to drive it, but what exactly is missing from a long block that I would need to swap over from the current engine?

Yeah I know everyone wants to do 4.0 swaps but I'd rather just keep the vehicle original, I could care less about power increases, its just a daily driver.

I'd like to put a replacement engine in and then go through the current engine and rebuild it. Junk yard engine isn't exactly something I'd be willing to take a risk on, may end up with something worse than what I have now, at least the engine in the B2 currently is running, I drive it daily, but the valve train noise makes me very uneasy, it runs and drives, but that rattling isn't very promising...and not sure how much longer it will run like this before something fails LOL.

I was looking at a long block which is about $2,000 plus whatever else I'd have to add to it to make it a complete engine.
A long block will have a block, crank, pistons, connecting rods, camshaft, heads (and head gaskets, likely pre-installed), and valve train. Some also include an oil pump, water pump, and/or other engine gaskets. You'll need to move over/buy separately the oil pan, valve covers, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, distributor, fan/fan clutch, fuel system, and wiring harness.

A JY motor may include some of that stuff that needs moved over and other goodies (ECU, EGR system, etc.). However, it's all used and unless you rebuild it and swap after, you may be swapping crap for lesser crap.

Another thing to keep in mind is cylinder heads, since this is a 2.9 we're talking about. The 1986-1988 heads as you probably know are prone to cracking and a failure waiting to happen. I'd look for a motor (long block or JY) that was 1989+ or has world products heads installed to maximize your investment. Or get a short block and source good heads separately.

Good read: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals