• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Low Budget 92 ranger build.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well over christmas i bought this truck its a 92 ranger xt cab with a 6" skyjacker class II kit, an a 3 inch body lift, it has no motor, tranny or t case, its fully locked with 4.56 gears front an back, some dents on the body, really no bad rust a couple holes in the floors but other then that everything is just surface rust.

My plans

thanks to a friend im getting a rebuilt f150 302 with a 4 speed standard an t case for $350, im buyin 5 33 mud kings on AR rims for $350. the most expensive things i got to buy are a new wiring harness an custom drive shafts.

Im also planning on paintin the whole truck either flat black, or army camo, im putting a custom prerunner style bumper on it, either just a backrack or a roll bar cant decide, some rock sliders, tube doors.

im just goin to keep the inside plan, i want to put some good safe seats in it with a 4 point harness but i dont kno what is a good aftermarket seat?, bed liner the whole floor an firewall, just a cheap stereo so i can listen to some tunes when im driving to the trails.

im still trying to think of ideas so any thought about it would be awesome
also im trying to think of a name an cant think of one any ideas??

this is the day i got it home.

so far ive pulled all the interir out to see what the floors were like an they were good just some small holes, i had to work outside on my lawn with the truck on jackstands cuz i have no tires for it. i put the cap of the back just to protect the seats an other crap from the snow.

Last edited:

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well my dad didnt want it sittin in the drive way so it had to sit at the side of the house surrounded by 4' of snow but they are gone for a week so i got the whole driveway now to work on it an i now have it sitting on some 30s jsut so i can roll it around,
heres some pics of it sitting next to my 94 mazda with a 3" lift an 31s

heres a pic of the front end with the SJ kit,
theres some camber issues but since theres no motor or tranny in the truck i think it should settle once i put the 302 in there.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
sweet dude...one hell of a deal

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya i cant wait till its done an i only paid $550 for the truck, i was originally goin to take the lift off an put it on my mazda but once i got the truck home an looked over everything i realized that the body was alot better then i thought an decide to keep this an make it a pure bush truck so i can DD my mazda.

AlwysBusted96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flat black all the way... makes those touch ups easier after those trail scrubs. Def. gonna follow this build.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well i just got back from buyin a set of 5 33x12.5x15 mud king tires on 5 15x8 AR knock off rims for $350 with abit over half tread an brand new spare, i put them on the ranger i will have pics up soon.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you got your work cut out for ya, with some good deals to boot.

I do see a flaw in your plan though, you want racing seats and harnesses... How do you keep from getting crushed in a roll-over? A cage is an absolute must with harnesses. Plus you need a cage to properly mount the harnesses. Improperly mounted harnesses will cause a lot more damage than protection. You should do some research on roll cages and harnesses, plan ahead and save your own life.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
oh ya i forgot to put that in that i want to put a cage in before i put those seats an harness in, guess i should proof read before i post lol

but heres some pics with the 33s i got last night, sorry for crap quallity its with my cell my digital broke,

bombsquad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
sweet ride!!!!

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would get rid of the body lift unless you need it for engine clearence

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya i was goin to get rid of the body lift but i need it for the 302 swap, that way i dont have to beat the heater box or something.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well i finally have been doin stuff to the ranger now that alot of the snow is gone. i decided to go back to putting the stock 4 L back in i picked up a good running one off my buddy with a 5 speed tranny, t case for 500 with the wiring harnes an computer an some other misc stuff.

here a coupple pics of what i have done so far, ive ripped the whole front end off to fix some rust an to make it easier to put the motor in.
i had no where to put the motor so i had to leave it in the back of the ranger for now till i finish the front end

so now im just waiting for my boss to get his sand blaster back so i can use it to clean up the core support an there is a 2 inch rust line from side to side on the fire wall i got to fix then im goin to spray everything with rocker guard then drop the motor in a run the wire harness an get the motor goin.

also the motor came with a auto t case an i want to definatly putt a manual t case in an i want to kno what is the best one that will fit my truck?
an does anyone kno where i can buy the shifter extension for a 3 inch body lift?

Last edited:

spaz1879

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i got one that is brand new still in its bag it was for the 3 in BL but i liked the shifter lower pm if your interested.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals