• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Q's?

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone! Just want to get some opinions/confirmation here before i buy. Truck is a 2003 XLT 4wd Supercab 4dr w/ 16" wheels. Tires are good, 245/75/16. The wheels not so much.
Looking to buy these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3427712/overview/.
Have been searching on here and my head is spinning. But most info. is on 15" wheels. Just want to make sure these will fit, I also plan on running the factory lugs and center caps.
Or anyone in CT with a deal on some decent factory wheels i would also be interested. Thanks!

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thabks for the reply. But looking for a difinitive answer.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
ONE things to consider is the center hub hole size, which appears to be 4" and I'd think that is as large as what you have on your truck now. They are just 7" wide which is very narrow IMO. You've probably got stock 8" wheels on it now. Backspacing is 4" and should be more than OK. I would think that using the stock center caps would look funny as they would stick out from the new rims surface.

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Kowboy, This is the look i want. I understand that these are alot bigger than im talking about. Pic for reference. what else can i fit? Will a 16x8 look better. I dont mind a little offset. But dont want 3" of tire hanging outside the fenders.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
6 x 8's would be fine. I've got 15 x 8's on my 2WD w/ no mud problems up the sides. I am surprised to see that the OEM center caps do work. The key to that is the rims offset. That is one bad looking truck!!

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I think you should search wheel offset and backspacing and educate yourself on wheel measurements. Remove one of your wheels or use your spare if it's easy to get to. I would then measure the backspacing on that existing wheel. I would take measurements of how the existing wheels fit on the truck, re: measure how much more inward I could go without having tire rub. I used a 4 ft level to check the distance of my existing wheels from outside fender to the outside of the wheels lip. I then knew how much further I was willing to go outward. I'm sorry but I just wouldn't want to suggest wheels for you that may not meet w/ you expectations. I believe you will be more pleased w/ something that you figured out. There is a chart online that will convert the metric tire sizes into inches. This will assist you w/ tire choice.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't guess (or let other's guess for you).

My '99, I open driver's door and look at the Federal sticker.

Tires are 245/75R16; wheels are 16x7.0. That gave me baseline. Then I measured backspacing on my rims; measurement I got was 4.5". FWIW 245/75/16 is basically 31x10R16

So, I were to mount the Cragars you are suggesting on my truck with stock tires, they would be 0.5" inboard. Rim width is same so no concern about them mounting. Quick check, MY truck would have clearance.

If I wanted to mount 305/70R16s (basically 33x12R16); quick check at tirerack.com indicates 33s mount on 8"+ rim; so if I wanted bigger tires, I would need to go to the wider rim. The +12mm offset matches my stock rim so I can put the front wheel on jack and check if the 1" extra width & diameter would rub by turning wheels from lock to lock...

There appears to be a couple places clearance gets too close for comfort...

Hope this helps you.

Don

p.s. 245/75R16 fit on rim 6.5-8".

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have the 16x7 according the info. I can find on TRS and the interwebs. Think i will have to just head down to the tire shop and see what i can find out. The 8" rim would be nice to use. And maybe a different offset the factory wheels just seem very flat, no depth. Not looking to put a big tire on just better looks than my corroded mags now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals