• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 xtra cab daily driver

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
So as I've said in my other post, I procured another 88 Ranger. It has become my crawler project, while my other blue 88 daily driver is receiving some luv. Here's kind what I've got soo far.

new 88 project

Daily driver 88 xtra cab 4x4.

I removed the 4" Superlift from the grey truck, and put it on my blue one along with tires. My working conditions are lousy, but all worth it in the end.

Gotta luv those. Lol

That's how it sits now. Now the annoying bits. The passenger side I-beam drop bracket has a hairline crack in it right at one of the flanges, and the truck has two tanks and the rear one is smack in the way driverside rear shock. Both minor inconveniences but no biggie.

I'm planning to go down to 33s when I can afford them. These r just a tad big. Also I am having trouble removing old pitman arm. It is ON there. Anyone else run into this prob and how did they solve? I think im going to try a gear/pulley remover.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah they're typically a bi/ch to remove. Get a puller and try it. If that doesn't work try heating it up a little at a time with a torch. But don't get it too hot or you'll damage the seal on the steering box. Concentrate the heat on the pitman arm not the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhammel85

Yup, like rowdy said. You might even have some luck spraying kroil or pb blaster between the pitman and box so it goes through the splines if its really stuck. Mine was stuck on good but I used a puller and a tiny bit of heat

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try giving the pitman arm a rap with a hammer on the side where the shaft goes through. Works better if there is tension pulling the arm away from the box. two hammers is best , one on each side, so there isn't a side load being transferred into the bearings of the box.

In the pic I'm removing the draglink from the pitman arm, the same method works for removing the pitman from the box;

Drop pitman arm. I removed the drag link by hitting the end of the arm [where the hammer is] with two hammers at the same time, four not that hard hits and it dropped out.
Good luck,

Richard

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the tips. I was thought about using torch but wasn't sure if it would help on something that thick. I'll try these until one of them works.

jhammel85

Yeah you'll be OK! Just remember to heat the arm and not the shaft.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Quick photo op. Got the pitman arm swapped. After bout an hour of trying everything else I broke out the grinder. Took a minute and didn't mess up shaft. Now all that's left is rear shocks (which I have to drop rear gas tank for), weld the crack in axle drop bracket, and install longer brake lines.

Decided to get the red guy in sothe pics.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Also I need lug nuts. Lol got two or three on each wheel

integman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
any updates on this

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah but not much. Been spending more time on the other truck. Here's a lil update though. Washed it up and threw the rack on.

Here's a close up of my quick release mod. Lol

Then I took it out for first time since lift and had a blowout on the freeway. Tire had a huge chunk missing so I knew it would go sometime.

Luckily I had a spare. Anyways I welded up those cracks I found and buttoned up the loose ends. Still have to switch to longer brake lines. Here's what it looks like now.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a way to move an entire thread without just rewriting it? I posted something to mini trucks when I meant to go to offraod...

PolarRanger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l for now
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Rejoice, for something bad is about to happen!
Looks like a great start. Mine does some daily duties as well. I am however finding the 2.9l in mine is dying so it will have to be replaced. Keep up the good work.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Dude I love what you did with yours. Dying you say? That aint good. You thinkin a rebuild or swap to a bigger motor? I was thinking of doing a 4.0 swap on mine eventually. Save the 5.0 for the crawler project.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Went camping up in Bowman lake this weekend. Unfortunately my phone crapped out soon after I got home and I lost all my pics. Luckily I had sent some of them to other ppl by text already so they emailed them back to me.

I was really nervous to test out my flex on account of I haven't been able to get the longer brake lines on. So they are mostly just climbing photos. I was going to drop down to 33" tires eventually, but these 35s really help my approach angle. If I keep a 35 inch tire I'll be leaning towards a 4.0 swap and beefier drivelines.

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
keep the 35s :p go big or go home right

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals