• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87' 2.3L TC camshaft?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Did the 87' 2.3L Turbo Thunderbird have a stock slider or roller cam?

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Slider.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You are best off using the Roller from an '87-92 Ranger 2.3 engine.

the cam timing isn't that different nor that terribly important on a turbo engine, but what is important is the volume of metal chips from the slider followers that wind up going through the oil pump does make a difference...

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What changed in 93 on the cams?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, to 1994 all are the same.

1995-00 are different because ford redesigned the head for smaller diameter valve-stems
and used different (redesigned) followers for that later cams that used a larger diameter roller, so the 1995-up stuff is Incompatible.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, to 1994 all are the same.

1995-00 are different because ford redesigned the head for smaller diameter valve-stems
and used different (redesigned) followers for that later cams that used a larger diameter roller, so the 1995-up stuff is Incompatible.
I'm fairly certain the '95-'00 roller cam shafts are identical the older roller cam shafts. Just the followers changed. However its easier to just stick with pre-'95 stuff. The '89-'94 roller followers are cast metal while the '95+ followers are stamp steel.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm fairly certain the '95-'00 roller cam shafts are identical the older roller cam shafts. Just the followers changed. However its easier to just stick with pre-'95 stuff. The '89-'94 roller followers are cast metal while the '95+ followers are stamp steel.
The lobe shape for a particular lift and duration must be designed to take into account the diameter of the roller, so a later cam would give you LESS lift and duration than the camshaft that was designed for the smaller diameter follower rollers.

Thus I stand by my original statement: NON COMPATIBLE!!!

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One of the long time guys in the 2.3 world has measured the cam lift and it is the same along with the diameter of the roller. The ratio is the same between the two followers too.

"Both the early and late Ford roller cams have exactly the same lift.
Both the early (cast-steel) and late (stamped-steel) roller followers/rockers have the exact same lift ratio and wheel diameter.
I've personally measured all of those components and the only differences that I'm aware of are, (1) The early cam has a wider lobe than the later version, and (2) The tip of the late roller follower has a narrower groove than its early counterpart, to compensate for the smaller valve stems (7mm vs 11/32), as mentioned above, by Nicholas. [thumbup]

NOW.....there MAY be some slight differences in valve events, such as LSA, duration, etc., between the early and late cams - but, DUNNO! When someone of y'all decides to put the two side-by-side on a Cam Doctor"

http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=058987#000008

So the cam's themselves WILL interchange & WILL work. Not to mention I have seen plenty of '95+ turbo ranger guys use cam's "design" for the older heads without a problem in their newer heads using the appropriate followers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals