• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Headlight Options

bkoz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My new to me 08 has poor headlights compared to other vehicles I have owned. I have done searching and I am a little confused about what options I have for upgrading the lights and what some of the downsides are. This is what I have gathered so far:

-High output Halogens (eg. Sylvania Silverstar Ultras)
-High output Halogens with upgraded wiring using relays
-HID's - there seems to be lots of options here

I was originally looking for a simple fix but I may be swayed to a HID conversion if it makes sense. But I have no interest in illegal conversions or really blue lights.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could do an HID conversion but you would have to replace your stock headlight housings. Real HID's can be expensive. They do have different color options though so you dont have to get that blue light. Most cars that come stock with HID's dont have that really blue light. A simple fix would be replacing the bulbs. I have Philips X-treme Power bulbs and they are a lot better than the Silverstar Ultras. They are a nice white color too.
Before

After

They are brighter in person too but dont blind the people in front of you or the on coming drivers.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have the Silverstar Ultras and they are pretty dang on nice and they are in those fugly housings with all the lines all over them... I may go with phillips next time though just to try em out.

What relay enhancing setup were you thinking about doing? The one that allows highs on with lows or the one that gives the bulbs power directly from the battery?

bkoz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What relay enhancing setup were you thinking about doing? The one that allows highs on with lows or the one that gives the bulbs power directly from the battery?[/QUOTE]

Power directly from the battery, but I may consider having the high + low setup.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah for an 08' I doubt the wiring is going to be the restrictor as its practically new, I would do the High/Low relay its amazing. At first I complained that I couldn't see farther but that was because of the lows being right there.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah for an 08' I doubt the wiring is going to be the restrictor as its practically new, I would do the High/Low relay its amazing. At first I complained that I couldn't see farther but that was because of the lows being right there.
Doesn't matter the age, wiring has resistance, and the longer the wire, the greater the resistance and voltage drop.

And as a friendly outsider, puh-lease don't wire up your highs to run with your lows all the time. Please. I like to see when I drive at night too.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
You could do an HID conversion but you would have to replace your stock headlight housings. Real HID's can be expensive. They do have different color options though so you dont have to get that blue light. Most cars that come stock with HID's dont have that really blue light. A simple fix would be replacing the bulbs. I have Philips X-treme Power bulbs and they are a lot better than the Silverstar Ultras. They are a nice white color too.
Before

After

They are brighter in person too but dont blind the people in front of you or the on coming drivers.

where did you get those phillps bulbs at????

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't matter the age, wiring has resistance, and the longer the wire, the greater the resistance and voltage drop.

And as a friendly outsider, puh-lease don't wire up your highs to run with your lows all the time. Please. I like to see when I drive at night too.
Actually it does, Older wire has more resistance then new fresh wire... Or atleast in my experience.

And your not rigging the highs to run with the lows your rigging the lows to run with the highs. So you lows are on and when you flip on the highs the low beams stay on.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
where did you get those phillps bulbs at????
I dont remember where i got them but you can get them here it looks like. The pictures kinda make them seem whiter than they really are but there super nice and from what i have read they are one of the best 9007 bulbs.

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
i have the Philips xtreme power bulbs as well... also was a replacement for the silver stars. BIG improvement. no coating on the bulb lens allows for a more clean, white light. Philips claims 85% more light than stock halogens. and i believe them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals