Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
ufgators68

Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: DD
ufgators68 is on a distinguished road
Default Burning smell...

Since I replaced the transmission, in my truck, I haven't driven more than 10 miles in one trip... until yesterday. We took it on a 30ish minute drive, to a friend's house, and it did fine on the way over.

Once there, I helped him move some stuff out of his yard, to the pasture behind his house. The pasture hasn't been cut in a while and is waist high. I didn't notice any smells when we get done with that but when I got home, later, there was a smoke smell coming from the truck.

Kind of smelled like grass burning but I didn't see any see any grass under there. Come to think of it, I didn't see any smoke either... even after I opened the hood. It was still putting out that smell this morning, after I got to work. Not nearly as strong but it was there.

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm going to check the o2 sensor wires, this afternoon, when I get home. Maybe one has shifted and is close the exhaust pipe.

This is going to drive me crazy. I'm paranoid enough, as it is, when I replace "major" components in/on my truck. Since last weekend, I've probably checked under my truck no less than twice a day to see if there were any leaks.
ufgators68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
strvger

Location: the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for Winter!
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl cab, short bed
I use this vehicle for: getting the job done, no matter what that job is.
strvger will become famous soon enoughstrvger will become famous soon enough

auto or manual? if it's an auto, check the fluid to see if it is burnt and smells.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid"... the Duke
strvger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Shran
Junk Collector

Shran has a spectacular aura aboutShran has a spectacular aura aboutShran has a spectacular aura about

Probably got some grass caught in a heat sheild on the cat or elsewhere on the exhaust. Used to happen to my mom's Grand Marquis all the time when we took it offroad. Don't worry about it.
2007 F250 4x4 V10
1992 Explorer 4 door expedition rig
1994 Explorer 2 door future offroad racer maybe?
1989 Ranger 4x4 4.0/M5OD/D35/8.8 swapped
Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
ufgators68

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
auto or manual? if it's an auto, check the fluid to see if it is burnt and smells.
It's a new(reman) transmission... we filled it, last weekend, when we installed it. Why would it be burned now?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
ufgators68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shran View Post
Probably got some grass caught in a heat sheild on the cat or elsewhere on the exhaust. Used to happen to my mom's Grand Marquis all the time when we took it offroad. Don't worry about it.
Didn't notice any but it was dark and all I had was a small flashlight when I was looking.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
feellnfroggy

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD for right now.
feellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to feellnfroggy

Quote:
Used to happen to my mom's Grand Marquis all the time when we took it offroad. Don't worry about it.
A new quote for my sig finally, LOL>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Like I say to the newbies who join us: "Pull up a chair, grab a cold drink, & watch for low-flying BS!!!!"
Quote:
Used to happen to my mom's Grand Marquis all the time when we took it offroad. Don't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Agreed. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" doesn't begin to cover the ugliness of this thing.
feellnfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1934/1989
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
My credo: JESUS (no-not HeySoos) Lives!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

which reminds me........get a vehicle fire extinguisher....unless you really don't need the vehicle your riding in that bad....

**All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up**
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators68 View Post
It's a new(reman) transmission... we filled it, last weekend, when we installed it. Why would it be burned now?
Well, you might have accidentally gotten a case of mis-labeled t-case fluid. That will destroy a trans in <100 mile.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
ufgators68

It was a weed. It was caught in the y... clean out of sight. Dang thing was black as a tire.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Happens

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote