• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what cylinder clearance to rebore?

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i've got my 4.0 torn down to bare block, it's getting new pistons. i've got a set of keith black pistons, but i'm not sure if i need to get it bored. what's an acceptable clearance from cylinder to new hypereutectic piston? .005 or so??

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any knowledge I have is very out of date. But I can suggest contacting the piston manufacturer.

Richard

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need to ask the company that made the pistons. They all recommend different clearances. You should have checked to see if it needed boring before you bought the pistons though. You can't used STD size pistons in a block that has been bored. You might get away with honing if you are lucky.

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yes i realize i will need new pistons if it's bored.. $60 for a set of 6 pistons is not gonna break the bank. they will be resold if necessary. anyways, apologies for giant image.

i am not going to be at 3.9527. these have a skirt diameter of 3.9514
that would mean a clearance of .0013

how much beyond that is acceptable?

Last edited:

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Any time you are rebuilding an Engine the first thing you should do is get all machine work done then you will know exactly what parts to get for reassembly.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
how much beyond that is acceptable?
As mentioned, tolerable clearance will depend on alloy and application and you should be able to get those numbers from whomever supplied the KBs. You could also probably google search for the information.

However, as also previously mentioned, take the block in to a machine shop. Shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred to have it cleaned, checked for cracks, mic'd for bore taper and roundness, over-bored (if needed) and honed...you will feel so much better about new pistons going into a block w/ a clean bill of health :)

Last edited:

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
good points, i should just take it in to the shop and do it right. thanks to all

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Any time you are rebuilding an Engine the first thing you should do is get all machine work done then you will know exactly what parts to get for reassembly.
Actually get your pistons first and get your block punched to match the pistons. You should also have rings on hand if you decide to go with non standard rings as they may require a different final hone on the block. I used Total Seal low tensions and they run an extremely fine final hone. The machine shop thought I was joking when I gave them my numbers. I will say the machine shop I used in Germany did a killer job as they punched each cylinder to match each piston then numbered the pistons to the bore for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals