• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel filter replacement

Justinwashere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 ford ranger xlt 4.0 with 180k and I need to change the fuel filter, It has the factory filter on there and is getting bad. I have a replacement filter and am wondering if there is a special procedure on the fuel line clips that go on the filter, if I break the clips I am S.O.L due to the fact that this is my daily driver and I need something that runs to get me to work.

Any help will set my mind at ease.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I would think any parts house would sell replacement clips. Also, lots of videos on you tube.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
every filter i have bought has come with new clips, i ussually wedge a screw driver behind them and pry them out. if there not old and brittle they come out fine. i have used zip-ties to hold it on before, when i lost the new clips tho...

i do also believe that the "help!" section at the auto parts store will carry replacement clips.

also, relieve the pressure before you disconnect the lines... or just close your eyes.. your choice

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Pro tip: depressurize the system so that when you disconnect the filter, you don't douche your eyes with gasoline. +10 points if you can finish the job with you eyes closed and before flushing them out....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wear safety glasses. Don't ask how I know this! :shok::D

Had to remove the fuel tank on my motorcycle the other day. There is no procedure I know of to relieve the pressure on it. So when I undid the quick disconnect, it squirted pretty good. Luckily I had me a pair of tinted safety glasses on my ugly mug.

B52U

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Here's how I did mine.
1. Buy a fuel line disconnect tool
2. Find the relay for the fuel pump using the owner's manual, start truck, pull relay out. Engine will stop and release fuel line pressure.
3. Have some rags pushed in under the lines as you pull them off the old filter (wear eye protection) some fuel will leak out of the lines and filter. May want a drip pan under there too.
4. Put new filter in, reconnect lines, put fuel pump relay back in.
5. Start truck and check for leaks.
Done.

Instructions from Chrisfix:
https://youtu.be/uQbYs_6jrno

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

jossharvey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought mine from an auto repair expert here in richardson and it's working fine till now.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently did mine on my ’92. As someone above mentioned, I pulled the relay fuse for the fuel pump (under the hood), then started the truck for a few seconds, to burn out the remaining fuel in the lines, thus relieving pressure.

On mine, there is also an emergency fuel shut off switch just underneath the dash on the passenger’s side, to the immediate right of the trans hump in the floorboard (under the carpet). This item is there to cut off power to the fuel pump, in case of accidents. I disconnected this, then got under the truck with an oil drain pan (to catch the fuel left in the filter), took out the little fuel filter retaining bracket, then popped out the plastic clips on the fuel lines. Can’t remember for sure, but I think my new filter came with new clips. As others have mentioned, watch your eyes when you pull the filter (gas burns like hell).

Once the new filter is installed, just pop the relay fuse back in, reconnect the emergency fuel shut off (if so equipped), and crank her over a few times. Fuel should return and you should be good to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals