• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is this normal behavior - automatic trans

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an '06 XLT automatic tans 4.0L 4x4 w/ 32" tires 4.10 gears.

I have a few questions. This is my first ranger.

#1 on pavement I can go up hill with seemingly plenty of power and speed (highway). However, recently I was pulling out of a camping spot that had a rut in it between dirt and an asphalt road (equivalent of maybe 6-8"). My front tires were in this rut. In both D and 2nd gear the engine revved close to 2500+ rpm w/o wanting to go up and over this rut. 1st gear did it fine. I was surprised for some reason. Is this normal? I'm no expert on auto transmissions, and imagined this to be the equivalent of burning a clutch. (no smells)

I hope my question is clear. I'm wanting to know if it's normal in D & or 2nd gear to not have much power over a rut like that and having the rpm rev high w/o much action.

#2 sometimes when accelerating from a stop and letting off the gas before it shifts into the next gear produces a thump sound and I can feel it. Like a hard shift. is that normal?

Any other time, the transmission feels like it shifts smoothly and solidly. In general I've never questioned the transmission, but these noises are making me paranoid.

I just had a rat nest in my engine and have babies. I had to do an O2 sensor repair on the road because the rat chewed through it, presumably to get at the firewall insulation to make a nest. I hosed the engine out multiple times and hopefully got rid of the rat. traps 2 nights in a row untouched. So I'm getting paranoid the rat chewed my whole truck up. Probably just paranoia

thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals