• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where's the water going

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, It's been awhile since I been on here But i still hasve my ranger and I've gotten a pretty perplexing issue I wanted to run by you guys. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but here goes.

I have a 1989 ranger sc 4x4 with the 2.9 liter v-6 in it. I believe It also has the late model heads.

I've encountered a issue lately were I'm always putting fluid in the radiator. Seems like I put in about a half gallon every other day. Also the motor ticks now and even sounds like I got a rid knocking. GULP :bawling:

I've owned the truck 10 years and this is the first issue I have ever had
with the heating cooling system.

I'm pretty sure a head got cracked somehow but here is the thing.
There is No antifreeze leaking from the motor or dripping to the ground that I can see. I also did a oil change not to loong ago and there is no water or anti-freeze in the oil that I can see either.

The truck still runs, I drive it eveyday ( I have too, no other vehicle)
I know there is something wrong but not sure what It is. The only thing I can think of is the water is leaking into a cylinder and being burned off with the gas on the power stroke. cant think of anyplace else it would go. Any ideas.

LV

cavibird2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mendtite by Zecol

Head down to napa buy 1 bottle. Follow instructions on bottle. If that doesn't work, you have big issues. I've fixed head gaskets, heater cores, radiators, intake manifold gaskets etc with the stuff. I've never had to put it in a Ford, But I've never had it fail me.

It is important that the cooling system is full and 50/50.

Hope that helps and works for ya.

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mendtite by Zecol

Head down to napa buy 1 bottle. Follow instructions on bottle. If that doesn't work, you have big issues. I've fixed head gaskets, heater cores, radiators, intake manifold gaskets etc with the stuff. I've never had to put it in a Ford, But I've never had it fail me.

It is important that the cooling system is full and 50/50.

Hope that helps and works for ya.

Hmmm, This isnt the 65.00 a gallon chit is it?
Went to autozone and picked up a 10.00 bottle of something from Barsleak that was suppose to fix head cracks, gaskets, etc.

When I told the salesmen my delema he reached down behind the counter and pulled out this gallon of blue liquid, Said all the mechanics use it and if it doesnt fix it your screwed. I asked how much, he smiled and said why do you think we keep it Behind the counter. I asked Again, how much?

65.00 a gallon :icon_confused:

Decided to go with the cheaper stuff. It didnt work. what a pain it was to. Had to get All the antifreeze out before using it. Then after use leaving the cooling system open and empty for 24 hours. etc, etc.

Yep, I think it's getting into a/the cylinders somehow and being burned off. It's the only real explanation I can find to explain the disappearing fluid. Sucks too, now I got ticking lifters and I swear I'm hearing a rod knock. Lifters cant be that loud can they, Mistake them for a rod knock.

It's my only vehicle so I cant tear it down. I love my truck and wouldnt hesitate to rebuild the whole motor but after ten years and a roof that's going to rust out on me now matter what I do, short of actually replacing it I'm thinking it might be time to move on. And for the record, at least with me Rust Bullet didnt do squat to slow it down or stop it.

I will check out what you mentioned though. Thanks....

LV

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope!

Hmmm, This isnt the 65.00 a gallon chit is it?
Went to autozone and picked up a 10.00 bottle of something from Barsleak that was suppose to fix head cracks, gaskets, etc.

When I told the salesmen my delema he reached down behind the counter and pulled out this gallon of blue liquid, Said all the mechanics use it and if it doesnt fix it your screwed. I asked how much, he smiled and said why do you think we keep it Behind the counter. I asked Again, how much?

65.00 a gallon :icon_confused:

Decided to go with the cheaper stuff. It didnt work. what a pain it was to. Had to get All the antifreeze out before using it. Then after use leaving the cooling system open and empty for 24 hours. etc, etc.

Yep, I think it's getting into a/the cylinders somehow and being burned off. It's the only real explanation I can find to explain the disappearing fluid. Sucks too, now I got ticking lifters and I swear I'm hearing a rod knock. Lifters cant be that loud can they, Mistake them for a rod knock.

It's my only vehicle so I cant tear it down. I love my truck and wouldnt hesitate to rebuild the whole motor but after ten years and a roof that's going to rust out on me now matter what I do, short of actually replacing it I'm thinking it might be time to move on. And for the record, at least with me Rust Bullet didnt do squat to slow it down or stop it.

I will check out what you mentioned though. Thanks....

LV
You are most likely incorrect in your assumption!!
If coolant can get into the cylinders then compression can get into the coolant system. If compression gets in the coolant system the radiator will puke within two or three blocks.
It is highly probable you have an exterior leak!! To find it you will have to LOOK for it!
A good place to start is UNDER the vehicle. You crawl under there with a flashlite and LOOK for that one drop of coolant. Then you trace it up higher to the place it is coming from.
First bet is the small hole in the bottom of the coolant pump. When that leaks the coolant pump is lost forever...install a new one. While you are at it put a new thermostat in there also.
BUT the leak could be anywhere there is supposed to be coolant. Have you checked the carpet under the heater? Lots of times the heater is the culpret.. and it leaks on the inside of the vehicle.
Any coolant hose is also suspect, as well as certain places on the headgaskets leaking outside the engine.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
My 88 Ranger plow truck sprung a pin hole leak in the heater core hose, about 4 inches before it connects to the heater core.

I found the leak one day by accident when I had the hood open, fiddling with the throttle. I just caught a TINY stream of liquid out of the corner of my eye when I revved the throttle. It only sprayed when the rpms were up there.

Might be a spot to check.

cavibird2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mendtite ranges in price 12.99-21.99 the highest I've ever seen it. The problem is that you put the bars in there. You'd have to flush it out with a flush solution. Then refill with new Coolant and than try the Mendtite.

It has to be 50/50 Solution and you can only put in one bottle. I can't stress that enough. It wont work if you put it two. Also it has to be shakin WELL Shake it till you think its good than shake it some more.

Than let the truck sit there and idle as long as it will before it over heats. 1/2hr is how long I run 'em for. I dunno if your will run that long. or if it is overheating or not.

Jim is right if it were leaking into you cylinder the rad cap or hoses would come flying off in a hurry. You cylinder compression is much higher than you cooling system pressure.

Think Fire House VS Bathroom Sink.

And yeah 2.9's can tick pretty loud but there is a huge difference between a tick and a knock.

Last edited:

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Some good replys guys and definetly food for thought.
I have been looking for leaks and telltale drips but cant find anything.
The carpet/interior is dry so I dont think its heater core related. There are No indications of water or antifreeze under the truck or on the motor. If it's leaking externally someplace I cant find it but will take a second look.
Thanks.....

LV

Mike828

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could just be your intake manifold gasket......

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Check the front of the radiator for a pin hole leak, check if the cap is keeping good pressure, and check the reservoir and hose for cracks. And do you have a trans cooler in your radiator? you can check there for an internal leak, not likely... but possible:icon_confused:

cavibird2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the front of the radiator for a pin hole leak, check if the cap is keeping good pressure, and check the reservoir and hose for cracks. And do you have a trans cooler in your radiator? you can check there for an internal leak, not likely... but possible:icon_confused:
Not possible, again the transmission runs at a higher pressure than the cooling system.

Buick Rondevu's and Pontiac Aztec's are known for that issue. The trans fluid leaking into the cooling system trough the cooler.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Oh, ok thanks. but anythings possible with a ranger.:icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals