• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

*POSSIBLE* 4.0 oiling mod (?)

FatboyDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I can do it fast, or I can do it right... what's your pleasure?
Been giving this a lot of thought - and I haven't seen much here on anything like it, nor explorerforum, ford-trucks (although a little discussion on the idea there from years past).

My idea is an old one, with a new twist I guess one could say. For those of us who DIY more than by the book, I came up with a possible solution to the notorious 4.0 rocker oiling problem. well, 2 possibly.

First is the one that drove me to write this so here goes:

Back in the day there were plenty of people who modded their Y block fords for oiling issues, which I understand the rocker assembly on the OHV 4.0 is actually based on. Generally speaking on those it was the entire rocker assembly that suffered from the poor oiling characteristics we OHV owners face with the pushrod end. They've had many solutions that seem to work, such as laying grooves in the shaft the rocker sits on, drilling holes through rockers, and my personal favorite which I have used to great success on my old 64 F100 Y block 292.
That is, to drill precisely placed holes in the valve cover and run oil tubes from the oil pressure sending unit location to the rocker assembly. I did it with T fittings, brass tube and short lengths of oil-safe rubber hose sans-nozzle, by pinching the middle of the valve cover ends into a 'figure 8' creating a dual cone spray pattern. by aiming them precisely at the rocker arms, it did the trick. My thought now is, with a little more careful aiming of said homebuilt oil sprayers through the valve covers directly at the valve end of the rockers, would it not assist in the notorious dry socket problem they tend to face? Especially if very carefully aimed like I said before?

Or am I simply putting too much effort in out-thinking Ford's design team on an old problem that won't go away?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Guess you won't know until you try.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when I was in korea they sold the ford granada with the v6 which had bad rocker oil problems. I was told it was due to bad camshaft bearing where the oil was pressurized to get to the rockers. I proposed doing this old mod based on the old ford 312/292 as you proposed. Except i was thinking of just running a copper tube with pin holes the length of the rocker shaft to provide the oil. It was to be taken off the oil sender port. Since the car belonged to another guy I never got around to do it, but one guy supposedly did and it worked. Crinkling the rocker covers would be a little bit of a task. Drilling and then soldering the tube to the end of the valve cover with a fitting might be easier?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Didn't the Clevelands/Modifieds have a spacer or something they put in the camshaft bearing hole to boost the pressure to get more oil to the valvetrain?

Only thing about tapping into the oil sender is that it is meant to deadhead there, so would you be robbing oil from somewhere else to get oil to the top end? (I have no idea how the lube system is routed in a 4.0 BTW)

FatboyDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I can do it fast, or I can do it right... what's your pleasure?
Didn't the Clevelands/Modifieds have a spacer or something they put in the camshaft bearing hole to boost the pressure to get more oil to the valvetrain?

Only thing about tapping into the oil sender is that it is meant to deadhead there, so would you be robbing oil from somewhere else to get oil to the top end? (I have no idea how the lube system is routed in a 4.0 BTW)
I also thought of that. The Y block mod of the same basic principle tapped off of that point also and at least seemed to do the trick. It's only a theory at this point and one I'm still not 100% willing to try *yet*... but my thought is that IF this engine's upper end is roughly based on the same design and that engine series did not starve somewhere else from doing so, maybe it's not robbing oil from another point but simply re-routing it's flow?

I would really need to dig into technical papers and manuals to find out for sure I guess before I could even consider trying it outright

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals