• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9L must haves?

NarlinB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The more I think about it, the more I want to keep the 2.9. In regards to that, has anyone tried to put the Scorpio upper intake on the ranger? I just saw that it was really different. Might it have more aftermarket options? I'm looking to increase more bottom end power vs top end. This is just a daily driver that I would like to be able to step on it once and a while and just enjoy it. I'm not into racing or 4-wheeling. Just a fun driver.

Last edited:

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Best and cheapest way is to gear it, get some 4.10s or 4.56s if you can find them

NarlinB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Would I need to change them on both the front and rear because of the 4wd? I have zero experience with vehicle modding, so please bear with me if some questions seem stupid. I am very mechanically inclined however, so I don't have a problem with diy stuff.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah both, and setting gear lash and bearing preload is easy with the right gauges, there are some good YouTube videos on how to do it

NarlinB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Are there any recommended brands? they are here and there on ebay.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yukon gears. They have a life-time no questions warranty.

I like buying diff parts from Randy's Ring and Pinion. They have pretty much everything you could want. Plus you just check the little box at checkout and their guys make sure the parts you ordered are correct for your vehicle.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The more I think about it, the more I want to keep the 2.9. In regards to that, has anyone tried to put the Scorpio upper intake on the ranger? I just saw that it was really different. Might it have more aftermarket options? I'm looking to increase more bottom end power vs top end. This is just a daily driver that I would like to be able to step on it once and a while and just enjoy it. I'm not into racing or 4-wheeling. Just a fun driver.
I have a Scorpio intake but no longer have a 2.9, the biggest thing I remember is that the thermostat housing pointed the wrong direction. If you're interested in the intake, pm me. I've also got a Scorpio eec-iv computer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals