• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Runs 6 seconds, then dies.

mudbogger55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am new to this forum and Rangers, my 13 yr. old son and I are doing a project truck together. I can get the truck to run for about 6 seconds, then the EEC 30AMP fuse blows. So to diagnose what's going on is tough, I just cannot figure it out. The guy we bought it from said they took a module out of their other Ranger, but now I know from the seller it was the ECM by the passenger foot panel, under the dash ( which I was to believe it was located left of the radio under the dash) not by the passenger feet.
So it would not be the TFI on the distributor.
Can a faulty TFI module at the distributor do what I'm describing, let it start with a new maxi fuse for 6 seconds then blow that fuse and die.
Where is the EEC IV module located?
Is this the module next to the radio?
Is it next to the passenger foot area?
or Is there a 3rd Module?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a tough nut to crack, because it reads like a short in the wiring harness

1989 should have the Power Box in the engine compartment, where the 30amp EEC fuse is.
Just FYI, the EEC relay(brown base), Fuel Pump Relay(green base), and WOT(wide open throttle) relay(black base), are located UNDER the Power box.

The EEC relay(via 30amp fuse) doesn't just power up the computer(EEC-IV)
It also powers up the fuel injectors, Fuel Pump relay(not the pump), WOT relay, IAC(idle air control) Valve, and if you have an automatic trans, it powers the shift solenoids.

EEC should be in the passenger foot well behind the kick panel, the engine wiring harness connects to it so follow that thru the firewall it will lead you to it.

TFI module gets power from the ignition switch directly, not from EEC fuse.
If it's a 4x4 then there will also be a 4X4 control module, but unlikely to blow EEC fuse

As far as the starting and then blowing the EEC fuse, I assume you have left the key just in the on position and fuse doesn't blow?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals