• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 low idle

FredrickPatton

Reaction score
So I have a 90 ranger with a brand new 2.9 and it runs great except once its warm and not all the time, when idling the idle will drop to about 500 rpm. It doesnt ever die just low idle. And while driving it runs great. Ive gone through most everything possible and ive come to the conclusion that its the iac valve but im not sure. Anyone have any ideas.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, could be IAC Valve if it is older.
IAC Valve uses a Stepper motor, the computer can send it voltage pulses, like Morse Code, to call one of its 100 "steps".
Step 1 might be rotate 5deg
Step 30 might be rotate 260deg
Step 80 might be rotate 400deg

Each Step opens, or closes, the air valve a specific amount, the computer "learns" what steps set what RPM.
The computer gets the RPMs from the distributor and TFI module.

But it is odd that the computer is not raising the idle back up after it drops, it may be trying to and the IAC Valve is simply not responding.
IAC Valve could also be losing power, IAC Valve closes all the way when key is off(no power), check the wiring at the connector.

When engine is cold the computer opens IAC Valve more, to set idle at 1,000rpms or a bit more, it is temperature based.
As engine warms up computer closes IAC valve more and more corresponding to the the engine/coolant temp, until "Target" RPM for warm engine is set, manual trans target is usually 600-650, automatic 750-800.

ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor is how the computer gets the engine temp, this is a TWO WIRE sensor only used by the computer, dashboard temp gauge uses a ONE WIRE sender, these look similar but are not shared.
I wouldn't think the ECT sensor could cause the drop in idle since idle drops below target idle, if idle was going up then maybe.

Last edited:

FredrickPatton

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. I did run the computer for codes and an ect code came up so I replaced the sensor thinking that would do it but It must not have. The code said ect out of range wich probably should have been my first clue that it wasnt the sensor lol. Any ideas on how to truble shoot why its not responding?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Frayed or corroded power wire on the IAC valve.

IAC valve spends most of its time at target idle position when engine is running so that is where it would wear out.
It would be worth a look could be the valve itself is loose and sliding too far, or just dirty and sticking.
When engine is cold remove IAC Valve, plug in the wires, turn on the key
Valve should open all the way, wiggle the wires, see if it closes.
Unplug the wires and it should close, then plug back in and it should open.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals