• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project: Quarter Million (bumper/suspension build)

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Well, finally money isn't much of an option, got my inheritance cash and insurance money. I'll have a spare 3.0 with 170K miles on hand.

The truck:
3.0l with 244K miles
Only leaks found are the oil drain plug, burns no smoke, only a small quick puff on start up after sitting for a while.
Just replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, so waiting on inspection.
Paid 1500 for it, there's no serious rust. There's a small quarter size hole in the frame, only problem so far. Easily fixed with a patch.

The projects:

-Lift 4-6 inches
-Body lift 3"
-Roof rack or roof bar with lights
-Custom front bumper with winch(in progress)
-Swap out Dana 35 hybrid for real Dana 35. Maybe I will go full size TTB, anyone know if it's direct bolt up or serious fab work?

So to start, he is my winch mount

Ok, here's the fairlead set up, I have to trim the front piece, obviously. I'm going to round it out and make it shorter. I'm going to reinforce the back to prevent bowing.
The fairlead peice of steel will bolt on to the winch holder, the winch will be mounted to the steel as in picture #3.

1/4 steel plate bent to fit in between the frame rails and use the existing bumper mounting holes and using high grade bolts. From there I will design my front bumper from C channel steel with the winch set back into the bumper for protection.

The winch in all her glory, she's heavy as hell.

And here's my plan for the bumper when I get around to it.

Any tips and comments are welcome. I want this to be strong.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
what size tire do you want to run?
________
Petite live

Last edited:

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Looks good! +1 on tire size, although I imagine 35s would look good on it. If you plan on a body lift, I would probably do that before I fabbed up the bumper. Full size TTB is possible, and I think there may be a company making kits for that (can't think of the name right now). If you stay with the dana 35, I would recommend a good Skyjacker kit and make sure you get their extreme drop pitman arm. http://www.trsfabandoffroad.com/products/skyjacker.htm
Keep up the good work!

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking 35 12.50 either stick with A/Ts since it is a every other day driver.
Easiest thing for me would be to grab a dana 35 and 8.8 out of a donor ranger. Cheapest option too. I might take a trip tomorrow and price it all out.

The winch and bumper will actually be 2 seperate pieces to allow for a future body lift.
I'm heading out to go and weld up and cut and drill the winch mount now. I'll be back with pictures tonight or tomorrow.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Found a ranger with a LS 3.73 8.8. I'm gonna hope and pray it's there after I'm done this, I wanna pull the front pumpkin and possibly the rear end. Front is more important, it will open me to 33" tires.
Got the girlfriend to get me some steel. Steel is going up in price a bit, it cost me $25 for each peice, cut and bent from 1/8".

If you see the red markings on the left, thats the clearance problem I'm having with the winch, no way around it, so I'm going to set it back and drill holes for a clean power install.
Tomorrow I will notch and put the end bends in and cut out the inset. I already dulled a brand new 1/2 drill bit, a little pissed, they're pilot point bits from irwin and you can't sharpen them easily.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Got out on Sunday and got to test the winch.
It's got balls. A buddy got stuck trying to turn around his f150 long bed in a narrow trail. Attached it to his hitch and swung his rear end around to straighten him out and didn't even break a sweat. Reason he got stuck was his transfer case motor took a shit.

I took some flex shots...Then realized the body is farther apart from the bumper than on flat ground. Front body bushings rotted away and only the rear 4 are holding it on and they're not doing too good of a job.

Last edited:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Got the new body mounts installed, the brackets were rotted so I had to weld on 1 1/2" washers to rebuild the hole to accept the bushing. Also installed coil spacers and built my light bar.

Guess my truck ain't good enough to be noticed.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i noticed... looks good bro

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
That looks exactly like my Harbor Freight winch.

To save you some headaches at very inopportune times, I suggest making a new solenoid box out of a plastic electronics box like sold at Radioshack, and sealing it up waterproof with some silicone. The box the solenoid comes in will leave that solenoid rusted up in a matter of months (ask me how I know).

If you put it in the box and tuck the box up under the body somewhere, you should have no problems.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
That's good to know. I had truck in some pretty deep water 2 weeks ago. I'll have to open it up and look around.

It is the HF winch BTW.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Someone give me some input on this design. The winch just seems so vulnerable to collisions right now. Plus I need somewhere to mount my new 100 watt lights.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i like it but id try to sink it onto ur bumper more. especially being so low down ur approach angle is gonna suck.
________
Laguna Bay II Condos

Last edited:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
I decided not to go with that idea and to just make tabs to mount my 100w lights.

I bought a used explorer lift kit, supposed to be an older superlift 5.5 superrunner kit.
The coils look thicker so I'm gonna say it will give me 6" of lift and maybe 7 if I install my spacers. Order a drop pitman arm and rear shocks.

I'm down to 2 last rivets on the passanger side middle body mount, I need new bolts as well. I also haven't decided if I want to lift the rear using blocks or shackles. I guess I'll see how the truck sits after the front is reassembled.

I plan on making an adapter to go from stud mount to eyelet mount for the front. Also need to fab up some drop brackets for the bump stops as this is a drop plate kit if you haven't already noticed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals