• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1 ton???

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey whast up? I was woundering how you guys can get a ford ranger to tow 1ton! Whats the towing capabillity for a 1999 3.0 V6 Ranger? And ways to get more power for towing! PLease!:icon_thumby:

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i can think of a way, sell the ranger and buy a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To tow 2,000#? Put a ball in the hole on the hitch.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
lower gears will help, but 1 ton is no biggie for a 3.0 ive pulled a dead astro van with my old '88 2.3 ranger, it weighed over 2 tons. 2,000 pounds isnt that much to tow really. id get a receiver hitch though, the bumper may be rated for 2,000 (or whatever) but a receiver hitch will far exceed what the truck will be able to pull. if your much over 2,000 pounds, trailer brakes are real helpfull. even if its not a requirement for your area, youll want them when your trying to stop on wet pavement or in panic situations. some things are worth investing in.

lars1367

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really, you should see some of the crap my brothers and I have pulled with our Rangers. '69 Dodge Super Bee (well over a ton), trailer with several sheets of plywood, many over-loaded moves from one appartement to another, and a very large tree that was blocking the trail I wanted to go on come to mind. Just remember that these things aren't Toyotas, you can actually use them for work! :icon_hornsup:

-lars1367

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Depending if it's a stick or auto, your truck is rated to tow between 2500 and 5000 pounds.
A bumper ball is good for 2000 I think, more than that and you should have a frame-mounted hitch.
Towing laws vary by state, but generally speaking most require trailer brakes of some sort if the trailer is over 1500 to 2000 pounds.
About the only way to get more towing power, especially from a 3.0, is lower gears. The 3.0 makes its torque up high and there isn't much you can do to make it more powerful. A cat-back exhaust, cold air intake, and a tuner might get you 15 hp and cost about $800. :shok:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 1.6l tracker 4x4 pulled a trailer with 8 250# concrete parking lot bumpers on it. distance was 40 miles and 3 miles of it was up a 6% grade. did it twice. i don't think you'll have any problem really. and yes, i did have a frame hitch, but no brakes on my utility trailer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals