• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LED bar

COMETKID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any experience with buying and installing LED BARS? I was interested in a single bar for my 2004 ford ranger. What's the installation like? What's the best brand? Should I do it myself or bring it to a shop! Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Installation isn't unlike with other types of lights... Mount the unit in a place of your choosing, then run a set of wires to it for power (due to the lower current draw of LEDs vs say, halogen incandescent lights, you may be able to forgo using a relay, though I would still suggest one if your total wattage is greater than 50 or so).

As for which LED light brand is best, I guess it's all relative... None are what I would call good. Baja Designs seems to be the best-constructed, however I've yet to come across any who's light output is worth a crap. All of the LED light manufacturers seem bent on using LEDs in the 5000-6000°K CCT range (gives the light a cold bluish tint). This increases glare and reduces the light's throw into the distance (not to mention makes colors look washed out).

In other words, if you want the best throw, quality halogen or HID lamps (4500°K or less) are best. Hella has some great lights of both types, such as their 4000-series lights.

COMETKID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey just want to say thanks for taking the time to respond man! I appreciate it!
I think I am going to take a look at the hella 4000 series . I'm looking for more distance with the light bar rather then that glow and glare you talk about with the LED's. If I have any more questions I will message you. Thanks

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 40 inch led light bar that i got from ebay, i had another 1 from amazon, they all seem to be about the same. any who, that bluish tint he describes is odd. on a rainy road it makes the road appear to have ice on it.

i do notice that they dont go out as far as say hid's do, but there far enough, and with a mix of spot/flood you get great coverage. my buddy runs 2 hid's for distance. however the price of 2 decent hid's is the cost of 1 40 inch led light bar on ebay. and you wont get the coverage.

the led light bar i have is so bright that i cant tell if my bright lights are on or off when the bar is on. they are pretty damn bright.

rigid is supposed to have the best led light bars, but i have a lot of friends with ebay/amazon light bars and no one has ever had a problem, there water proof, have nice big heat sinks, scratch proof lens, easy to wire up ( pos/neg wires) sturdy aluminum frame/structure. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another led light bar. you can get them in spot, flood, and spot/flood combo.

also you have to wait for hid's to heat up before there in full affect, led's are instant and less power draw, so if your using your hid's while winching you might experience problems.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
led's are instant
So are Halogen lights such as the above Hella. :) And you get a much nicer bright natural-color beam that very easily pierces deep into the darkness better than any 6000°K LED could ever hope to, regardless of the reflector optics it has. Downside is about a 2-3× greater current draw per lumen (almost universally requiring the relay I mentioned above), though the light it puts out is also about that amount more useable to the human eye too. For now I'll gladly take the greater current draw for the better quality light output as my alternator seems able to handle it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not a bar but you might look into ag applications for a LED light that isn't blue. New equipment comes from the factory with them and just about every aftermarket company makes them now too.

I have yet to have anybody complain about a blue tint. As soon as I get the duckets my tractor is getting them.

Last edited:

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Rigid is the answer if you are looking for a good brand but quite expensive.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldnt bother spending the money on rigids. for the price of a pair of 4" rigids you can buy an ebay or amazon 40" bar. the leds are the same and the case is the same other than having the logo etched into it. I have 2 4" ebay lights and payed less than rigid charges for an install kit. they do have a blue hue to them but not any different than a 5-6000k hid.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldnt bother spending the money on rigids. for the price of a pair of 4" rigids you can buy an ebay or amazon 40" bar. the leds are the same and the case is the same other than having the logo etched into it. I have 2 4" ebay lights and payed less than rigid charges for an install kit. they do have a blue hue to them but not any different than a 5-6000k hid.
this is the reason i went with an ebay light bar. i was driving around the other night and did realize that the 40 inch led bar i have only reaches out about as far as my brights do. so if you want distance id get hid's but to fill in the hot spots id get a led light bar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals