• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ran out of fuel, won't fire up.

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am fairly certain it ran out of fuel. I had one more errand to run before the gas station, and when I came out it wouldn't start. It was very very low.

AAA came with their five gallons and it wouldn't start so the guy towed it home for me.

I've primed the pump 20 times. The valve on the fuel rail gives a good squirt when tested. I inspected the fuel lines at the FPR and the fuel line is normal, though the return seems dry.

I unhooked the battery hoping to reset the computer.

Still turns over like normal, just won't catch.

I haven't checked the inertia switch, maybe it got tripped when the truck was towed?

Suggestions? I'd really like to drive tomorrow.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, if you have a good quirt at the test port and it sounds like you can hear the pumps prime I really doubt you tripped the inertia switch.

Have you considered causes other than lack of fuel? Like lack of spark.

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
only now that it still won't start. i'd like to test the TFI if I knew where to find it (hope its not back with the distributor).

About two months ago I was in the same situation. Truck wouldn't start and I found a leaking rubber fuel hose in the engine compartment. (the steel braided jacket was rubbed through and chewed up the line effectively running the engine out of gas) I replaced the hoses and couldn't get the truck to start. I think I remember I got it going by priming the pump 50 times or more our of frustration. I don't know how much of a difference 50 primes vs 6 primes has.

A complication with the fuel hose was trapped air. will the valve on the fuel rail bleed out air bubbles? the truck is currently parked down hill.

I do have a manual timing adjustment thanks to the MSD ignition. Would reducing or increasing the timing help it start?

Thanks for trying to help me.

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also: after the aaa guy filled me up the truck caught for about three seconds and slowly stalled out.

Is there a good test for the pressure regulator? I just checked the vacuum for gas.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Bro this is no B.S... Prime! Prime! Prime! It takes me anywhere from 10 min up to 25 min to prime my truck. Keep in mind I don't know what type of fuel system setup you have in your truck but I have dual gas tanks, two internal pumps, one inline HP pump, three fuel filters, one fuel reservoir, and a fuel log to prime(stock from ford, except the fuel log). It will take you a pretty long time to get it to prime no matter what setup you have. check the link below for more on priming... third post down=
www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142668

jhammel85

Even though it just happened because of the gas, I'd still check the spark. If it's good every where, pull the coil wire and see if the plugs get wet with gas. If they do, the gas has made it to the cylinders and it'll basically clear that as the issue.

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've just replaced the fuel filter, going to prime for 30 minutes or until bat dies. I'll report back..

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did a nice 35 minutes of 2-5 second priming. no start but the exhaust did smell of gasoline. pulled a spark plug and it looked healthy, though it did have some gas on it. certainly not soaked in gas.

i've got the rest of the day booked, but I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'll start with spark and move from there. Whats everyone's favorite method of testing?

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
...the truck caught for about three seconds and slowly stalled out.
a new fuel pump is what you may be needing. last week i ran out of gas for probably the 7th or 8th time in the last year. i put some in and my truck ran okay till the next day when i was going for a dive on the other side of the island. about half a mile before i reached the spot i was going to park the truck lost power for about one second, reminiscent of running out of gas, but kept on chugging along to where i wanted to go. i waited for a bit then tried starting her up and each attempt resulted with the exact same symptom as quoted above.

Is there a good test for the pressure regulator? I just checked the vacuum for gas.
get a fuel pressure tester to see if your pump is pumping at the pressure required.

the pump may be pumping but i think it is not pushing the needed psi or volume of gas to keep the truck running

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never was able to test the actual gas pressure, though I am interested to see. As I was chasing spark I found the coil to be faulty. Replaced it and I'm back on the road. I wonder if I ever did run out of gas....

SAR STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Follow up:
So I swapped in a junk yard coil to get back on the road. I ordered a nice Accel Supercoil, new plugs, new wires and a new cap and rotor to be installed when I had time.

This morning was that time. As I'm doing the wires, the coil wire from the distributor cracks completely off of its burnt boot. What was left of the wire must have been resting on the distributor cap. Also found another plug wasn't getting any spark....

Yet the truck ran great the whole time. No hesitation, no stalls.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals