• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 still pain in the butt

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So my 88 ranger will stall out every now and again and run a little rough and when I go down the highway it'll like die for a second then come back or run like shit and I put the throttle to the floor and it'll straighten out. I was told maybe the throttle position sensor how would I check this

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Reads more like a bad O2 sensor. Unplug the little bugger and see if she starts running better.

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't happen all the time it's really weird. It didn't happen to me this morning and sometimes it won't happen for a week. I put a new distributor on it awhile back and then a month later it started this

jhammel85

I was thinking the same. When you say die does it actually shut off or does it basically bog down for a few minutes and straiten itself back out? If it bogs down, I bet it's the O2. Disconnect it like ADSM said.

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It'll like die for a second then come back. The speedometer gauge will drop and everything then come right back. And sometimes it'll bog down real bad but if I give it more gas it'll bring it back to normal

jhammel85

TFI Module or some kind of grounding issue? Check the grounds on the back of the heads. Maybe you bumped it removing the distributor.

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll get a new tfi. I hope it fixes it. Didn't do it at all today and when it does bog down I can make it continue to do it and if I want it to stop doing it i'll give it a little more gas. And right before it dies when I'm at a stop the rpms will bounce from a little above normal and then drop and then come back up until it finally dies

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals