• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

installing a fuel cell...

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to run a fuel cell to replace my stock tank. I'm wondering if the stock inline high pressure pump will be able to keep up without the in tank pump? If I gravity feed the inline pump will it be able to keep up with the 2.9L demand?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think gravity feed would work fine. However, if you siphon feed it may not work as well or at all if vacuum is broken. I didn't take a chance on my race truck and bought an after market electric pump to feed the inline high pressure pump. The fuel cells I looked at didn't have an option for a bottom outlet.

Richard

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I planned to build my cell. I have built 3 cells in the past with great success. They all either ran an in tank pump or gravity feed to a high pressure aftermarket pump with plenty of pull to get the fuel to it.

I'm just making sure the stock inline pump had enough pull to keep up if it's just fed off of gravity.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'm going to go with the fuel cell. I'm just wondering if I can do away with the fuel accumulator on the frame rail? And build a small aluminum box to replace it. Then just route my return line straight back to the fuel cell.

Any thoughts on this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Should be able to if you are gravity feeding. The only functional (rather than ease of production) reason for the canister is because the HP pump can spin up faster than the tank pump and it's possible to starve the HP unit that way. If it's the only pump you have that issue is moot.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So with that being said I really don't need to replace it with anything. Since the tank will be feeding the pump direct. Correct?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals