• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump not turning on with key

justinus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hello all i went through ten pages of archives and found a couple of others with people that had the same symptoms but there were no answers.

Right now the fuel pumps will not come on with the key. the check engine light does come on with the key. if i jump the yellow and blue/orange wire on the fuel pump relay the pumps will run. i checked all the fusible links, fuses, replaced the fuel pump relay, and checked the inertia switch. all good. And when i jump the relay and run the pumps manually and try to start her she will crank but still not fire. but she will fire with starting fluid. there is decent fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail when i hotwire the pump.

what is keeping the fuel pump from coming on with the key?
why is the fuel not getting to the combustion chamber when i hotwire the pump?
any help is appreciated. thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Fuel Pump relay is activated by the Computer Grounding it.

When you turn on the key the EEC relay(brown base) closes, this sends 12volt power to the computer(EEC), the fuel pump relay, Fuel injectors and TFI(spark) system(assuming TFI since you said "pumps" with an "s")

But while the fuel pump relay has 12volts now there is no 0volts(ground) so relay doesn't close and send power to fuel pumps.
Computer normally Grounds Fuel Pump Relay for 2 seconds to test and prime the system, which it isn't doing.
(Fuel injectors work the same way, they all get 12volts with key on, but have no ground, the computer grounds the injectors to open them.)

Simple test to see if fuel pump relay is getting the 12volts from EEC relay is to use the Jumper Ground on the OBD connector.
Look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

It has a diagram of the OBD connector, found on the drivers side near firewall but could be on passenger side near firewall.

Use a jumper wire and Ground the labeled Fuel Pump slot/connector, if key is ON, then Fuel pumps should start up and you will know wiring at fuel pump relay socket(green) is good.

If that happens then I would check all the grounds around the EEC(computer), since fuel pump relay and fuel injectors both rely on computer grounds that could be the common problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals