• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No PIP signal TFI

raggadie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am getting code 18 with the tester I bought. I checked the the TFI with a test light, and it is getting power. I also checked the ignition coil switching wire on the TFI while cranking, and I am getting a blinking test light like I should, so this is confirming that the TFI is working in this aspect. I have also tested the ground on the TFI (this is while it is still hooked up the to distributor on all test) and I am good here too.

Now this is where I come to my problem, and I am just wanting some more insight before I buy a new part. I am not getting an intermittent PIP signal, and from my understanding, it is possible for the truck to still run (because it does), but it might not advance timing. Is this correct? Also, this seems to be the issues. From what I gather it is just sets a base timing/or messed up timing and doesn't cause it to fire at the right times, but it will still run. For instance, I don't have the best low or high end, and I really lose power at higher speeds or up hills. For the most part, most things have been replaced, but the distributor hasn't been.

Also, I have tested the ohms on the TFI with it disconnected. Even though the ohms are close to spec, they are not dead on. Is this is problem? I also tried to replay the TFI when I first had the problem and the new one went bad in a day. Can a bad PIP signal cause it to burn out quickly?

Anyways, is this telling me that my hall effect sensor is bad (camshaft position sensor)?

Just checking with the more experienced people here to see if there are anymore test I should run before I classify this as a bad camshaft position sensor, and to see if my diagnosis is close to being correct before I shell out more money on parts I don't need.

Thanks for the replies,
Ross Wood

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals