• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help 95 Ranger 4R55E problem!

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry if this is an easy question ( I have scoured the net for a week trying to find a somewhat clear answer)! 1995 Ford Ranger 4.0L, 4X4 extended cab, 4R55E trans (my guess from some research).

This is my sons truck, he was driving it in field, very heavy rain (basically some bogging in 2WD), said he shifted into reverse from drive and wouldn't move, tried putting it in any gear, no movement and no bad sounds.

Long story short, won't move in any gear. Shift linkage appears to move fine, shifts on side of tranny. Trans fluid level is fine (mildly burnt smell but not too bad). Checked OBD codes, a few misfire but nothing trans related.

Is the tranny toast? I have read to check fluid pump by disconnecting at radiator (I have yet to try that but will tonight), but I have read so many stories CLOSE to mine, but have not found a good answer. Please help, my 15 year old son is deviated with out his truck!

THANKS in advance for any help!

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Check fluid flow at cooler line. Also check to make sure transfer case is not in neutral or maybe not woking. Will truck hold in Park?

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
"mild burnt smell" is not a good sign.

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Brad truck holds in park.

Bronco, I kind of thought the same thing, but wouldn't trans make a noise at least?

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
It was a long shot but I am with Bronco 638. Burnt fluid is never good and you will have transmission failure with no warning and not make a sound after failure. good luck. let us know how things work out. You could always drop the pan and take a look at what failed as far as friction material or hard parts.

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can only assume that burt fluid and changing it will have no effect. I am planning on tearing it down (at least dropping pan) this weekend. THANKS for all of the input so far, will report back findings!

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled one of the trams lines at radiator. Started truck put in drive, NO fluid out of line. Do the pumps go bad? I'm changing filter and fluid now.

Last edited:

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thoughts? Thanks.

InsaneBroncoII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Burnt fluid is a serious sign that the transmission is going to fail, or has failed already. It is burnt because the transmission got too hot, and the oil overheated. The best way to explain it is like oil in a frying pan, if you leave it on too high of a tempurature, it burns and you have to put new oil in. Same goes for the transmission, except the bearings, bushings, gear tempurature is what controls the tempurature of the oil. If something goes wrong, the fluid will burn, due to parts faliure.

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok new question. Bought a 2005 with a 5r55e trans. I have read the swap is easy, just need to switch out neutral safety switch. True? Anyone done this swap? Also assuming that xfer case is same. Thanks sorry for the newb questions.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1995Ranger said:
Bronco, I kind of thought the same thing, but wouldn't trans make a noise at least?
Sorry for the late reply; I had a tranny fail (in an E350 box truck) with little to no warning aside from the "burnt oil smell". It simply stopped shifting and provided no forward drive (on the highway no less, towing a triple axle car trailer loaded with vintage race cars and supplies).

If you're not getting any fluid circulation, it would seem that the pump has failed (but I'm not even remotely a "transmission" guy). Without circulation, the oil will overheat. You may have gotten lucky and caught it before any major damage was done. However, you now have a replacement (5r55e). I can't be of any help with the swap but it would seem to be pretty straight forward.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
as for a swap to a 5R55E you are going to need an PCM from a 1997 4.0L. Your transmission is a 4 speed and the 5R is a 5 speed. Only 1997 4.0L will be a straight PCM swap without other PCM differences. 1998-2000 used the 4.0L pushrod and 5R55E but had a few differences that would make using one of those PCMs extra work that can be avoided by just using a 1997 PCM from an automatic 4.0L.

Also your truck has a speedometer drive gear in the tailshaft of the transmission. The 2002 will not have this as the speedometer is read a different way. There is depending sometimes a punched indentation or just an outline where the hole will have to be drilled out to fit the speedometer drive gear and plug. Look at your truck and you will see what I mean. Then check the location on the 2002.

Also there is a sensor on the very top of your transmission that the 2002 will not have. it is the overdrive drum speed sensor. This sensor can be looped and rewired to itself and canceled out. There was a TSB or something to that effect for it because that sensor caused engagement issues. The fix was as simple as cutting the plug and soldering the two wires together. I will try and find the article on that.

All in all its not a direct swap but its doable with a few adjustments.

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Below is the article addressing the overdrive drum sensor that i mentioned above. From what I recall the sensor was thrown out in 1998 and then reintroduced for a very short time in 2001 so chances are the 2002 you have should not have the sensor at all.

Article No.
97-15-28 07/21/97
TRANSMISSION - 5R55E - OVERDRIVE DRUM SPEED
SENSOR DELETED - SERVICE TIP LIGHT TRUCK:
1997 AEROSTAR, EXPLORER, RANGER ISSUE:
The Overdrive Drum Speed (ODS) sensor has been deleted as a running change. This may cause the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to receive stray signals from the non4unctional ODS sensor that may affect the operation of the transmission. ACTION:
Disconnect the ODS sensor connector, Cut off the connector end and splice the wires together. This should reduce the possibility of stray signals affecting the operation of the transmission. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details. SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the ODS sensor connector from the sensor.
2. Cut off the connector end.
3. Splice and solder the two (2) wires together.
4. Shrink wrap the wires and secure the wires to the harness. For proper wire splicing techniques, refer to the Augat Connector Repair Kit Manual.
5. Leave the sensor installed if using the original case. New service cases will not have an ODS sensor hole in the case.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F77Z-7005-DD Transmission case OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper WarranW Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

971528A Eliminate Overdrive Drum 0.3 Hr.
Speed (ODS) Sensor
Connector As Outlined DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7005 12 OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 504000

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Mark. I have not yet started swap because its too cold! Maybe this weekend! Another noob questions, where is the PCM located?

1995Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Swap went well. Can confirm 4R55e to 5R55e pretty easy swap. Eliminate overdrive sensor and swap neutral safety switch and your good to go!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals