• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 F350 questions

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a '97 F350 crew cab with 7.3L Power stroke, is doing pretty good for a truck with 326K on the clock, 200ish K on the engine... had it for a few days under a year at this point. It's got a 3" round downpipe and 4" straight exhaust exiting before the rear tire and that's about it for mods. Anyway, now to the questions:

- The clutch linkage seems to be about 1/2" too short, I imagine the master cylinder has been replaced with the wrong one, I've heard of this issue before, what's the best fix? I was thinking of pulling the linkage and sleeving it longer, is there a better option? The clutch disengages at the floor but the pedal is soft, there is about 2" of pedal movement at the top of the travel that does absolutely nothing...

-I'm not really all that familiar with the engine yet, and haven't looked too close at what I'm gonna ask about yet :), there's an engine component between the power steering pump and the block that apparently has oil running to it, last sunday I started it up when it was about freezing outside and this was leaking oil (like a pint) for about a minute then it just stopped...

-There's a very minor fuel leak somewhere I think in the valley area, where's the most common place?

The thing is kind of a dog until you get to about 1900rpm, gets 15mpg if I keep my foot out of it or just cruise at below 2000rpm, 11-13mpg towing the Ranger. like I said earlier has about 200k on it, I imagine I'm due for injectors, is it good enough to just get them out and take them to an injector rebuilder? Any good tips for reliability and such?

Thanks! I love the truck, and of the 3 4 wheeled vehicles I own I'm down to using this for DD duty at the moment...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oil cooler runs from oil filter housing to front of engine that may be what you are seeing.
Good video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhTSfPspm9Y
Cold temp could have harden O-rings causing a leak until warm oil circulated thru.

Fuel pressure sending unit on the fuel rail is a "common" leak point, also fuel filter lines, video for that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlu4V6VN8ec

Places that rebuild injectors usually just do a walk-in swap, you give them your old ones they give you rebuilt, walkout, but you can leave them and come back to pick them up.

7.3l power stroke was good in it's day but under powered by today's standards.
15-17mpg is about right but that's a pretty big drop when towing, one of the benefits of diesel is that empty or fully loaded the mpg stays about the same, yes there is some drop but not like a gas engine.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yep, upon looking at the truck today since I had my creeper out it's the oil cooler and that video makes it look very doable, need to redo the coolant anyway before it gets too cold...

Thanks Ron

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
O rings on the oil cooler were fried, fixed it yesterday, that was a lot of fluids to fool with...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My F350 has been coined the Christmas Tank since it's big, green, and came with a red canopy and I got it in part for Christmas last year... so I did this today:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's gotta be worth 50 hp.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just thought I'd throw some notes in here as I'm pretty impressed with this tank of a vehicle...

I just got diesel tonight and went 240 miles on 15.4 gallons, that's like 15.5mpg, but before factoring in the 8% slow that the odometer reads so I'm getting like 16.8mpg not even really being nice to it! I've found if you stay below 2000rpm for the most part it is much more efficient but a lot less fun (at 2000rpm you are lucky to get 8psi boost, 18psi at 3000rpm). That brings me to the fuel economy estimates I gave above, that 11-13mpg was right after I got it and I was cruising at like 2300rpm a lot of the time which makes a lot of difference. As it is if I drive like I've been getting used to driving it it'll probably go to 13ish mpg while towing a car/truck and do around 16mpg just driving around... if I did all highway I imagine it would be closer to 18mpg...

So, I'm still saying it's not bad for a cheap beat up old truck :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not bad at all for the old diesel.

One of the true advantages of diesel over gas is that the MPG does change as much when pulling/hauling a full load

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals