• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP QUICK changed caliper and now brake pedal hits the floor

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm assuming because I was a dummy and didn't pinch the brake line that there's air in my brakes. How do I fix this? Bleedbthe brakes? I've never done that- easy enough or is it a complicated task?

Thanks!!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Uhoh, you did not pre fill the new caliper with fluid? you should be able to open the bleeder with a little tube connected into a container and add fluid at the master cylinder until it runs without bubbles, this actually works I've seen it done many times.

I've learned how but rather not, use a little gadget called A Mighty Vac they're pretty cheap and you can bleed the whole truck by yourself starting at the right rear wheel.

Don't let the master cylinder run empty.
If the fluid doesn't run you may have a bad brake hose too,

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Easy with 2 people. Person in cab [#1] pumps brakes 5 times and then holds pressure on pedal. Person under truck [#2] loosens brake bleeder, lets fluid out, tightens bleeder. #2 repeats 5 pumps and hold, #1 repeats loosen/tighten bleeder. Repeat until no bubbles come out and fluid is clear yellow. Start at the bleeder farthest from the master cylinder, usually the passenger rear, then drivers rear, then passenger front, then drivers front. Test that you can break the bleeders loose first...sometimes it takes heat to get them to turn without breaking off. Use a 6 point socket or wrench as a 12 point can round the bleeder easy. Tho rounding is better than breaking....

^^^ Gravity bleed is a good idea for first try.

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Uhoh, you did not pre fill the new caliper with fluid? you should be able to open the bleeder with a little tube connected into a container and add fluid at the master cylinder until it runs without bubbles, this actually works I've seen it done many times.

I've learned how but rather not, use a little gadget called A Mighty Vac they're pretty cheap and you can bleed the whole truck by yourself starting at the right rear wheel.

Don't let the master cylinder run empty.
If the fluid doesn't run you may have a bad brake hose too,
Wellllllllll shoot no I didn't know I had to put fluid in the caliper. Too late to take it off and do that? Or do I need to do the full bleed at this point?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Wellllllllll shoot no I didn't know I had to put fluid in the caliper. Too late to take it off and do that? Or do I need to do the full bleed at this point?
Don't know, but usually before you change calipers or front brake lines you go on the Assumption there is no air in there.
when you change the caliper did you let the fluid run out or did you stop most of it before the master cylinder went empty?
I've seen it done both ways, with without fluid in the new caliper. it really depends on how much is in the reservoir of the master cylinder.

The back brakes are a separate circuit off the master cylinder not saying they won't get air in them but they are less likely to need bleeding if you're working only on the front, but you're working on the back too aren't you?

This vid will help

https://youtu.be/NUhOpYKmnYc

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive never filled them with fluid. Just top the master cyl off, have someone pump the brakes, HOLD THEM, while you turn the bleeder screw (tiny little screw, kinda looks like a grease zerk). Tighten screw, release brake pedal, repeat. Do this untill the pedal gets good and hard :icon_thumby:

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive never filled them with fluid. Just top the master cyl off, have someone pump the brakes, HOLD THEM, while you turn the bleeder screw (tiny little screw, kinda looks like a grease zerk). Tighten screw, release brake pedal, repeat. Do this untill the pedal gets good and hard :icon_thumby:
Yea. Got a buddy and bled the brakes on that wheel. I have this lingering fear that I did SOMETHING wrong and will only find out when I try to stop at a light on a 45mph highway. The brake pedal has pressure, brake fluid is full, any other way to be sure that I did this right? For peace of mind.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you got good stout pedal, everythings full, and nothings spurting fluid you should be fine. Braking systems are pretty damn simple at their core. I think youll be fine.

If it makes you feel better find an empty parking lot/dirt road/field whatever, whind it up 35-40mph and smash them a few times.

If you do happen to lose them, dont panic, just pull the auto selector down in "1" and release the throttle, and concentrate on steering, while pumping the pedal. If you have a manual choose the lowest gear you can without overreving and let off the throttle, and downshift as speed decreses.

DO NOT shift to neutral.

Either way, i think your good dude.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You do not need to pre-fill the caliper. You don't really need to pinch off the brake line, and I usually recommend against it on brake lines. You do need to bleed the brakes any time you open the hydraulic system. If it is something like a caliper then you only need to do it to the wheel that caliper is on. If you do something like replace the junction hose at the rear you would need to bleed both rear wheels.

If the pedal is good and hard now then your repair has been completed correctly and you really shouldn't need to worry. Of course you always want to test drive it around the block on slower roads before going on the highway after any brake repairs are done, but you shouldn't need to worry that it is going to not stop from 45 if it stops from 25.

Experience is a great teacher, but I am thinking you should have another teacher for brakes until you get some more experience. But bear in mind this is coming from someone who almost wrecked his truck after the first time I replaced the front brakes, because I didn't know you need to pump them up to get the calipers pushed out and the pads in contact with the rotor the first time.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
With the vehicle running, press down on the brake pedal until it stops, if it feels squishy, bleed again, if it feels solid, your good. Some systems relieve brake pressure so it may slowly go down but should not go the floor.(this is different than a squishy pedal)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The system fluid is 21 years old. The whole thing should be bled.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Did you fix the fluid leak on the back of the truck?

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Relief. Had the brakes looked at by a shop down the street. Dude said they were good to go, but that I should do a full bleed in the next few months. So I'm just gonna have them do it tomorrow.

And they'll crack the stuck bolts on my other caliper! YAY!

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Experience is a great teacher, but I am thinking you should have another teacher for brakes until you get some more experience. But bear in mind this is coming from someone who almost wrecked his truck after the first time I replaced the front brakes, because I didn't know you need to pump them up to get the calipers pushed out and the pads in contact with the rotor the first time.
That is precisely how i bent the rear bumper on my 75 F150 the first time i did brakes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals