• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Fans and Shrouds? anyone?

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162800
hey guys, I have an 83 Ranger with a 5.0 HO swap (injected, want to say its probably an 89) previous PREVIOUS owner did the swap, now im here putting together the pieces.
in addition to the mustang's engine, transmission, rear end, and various other parts, the owner put the stock (or stock style) aluminum mustang radiator into the track. which required some cutting, notching, welding, and other estranged hackery of the radiator mounts,supports, and a big notch where the stock filler neck and cap is (instead of the swap kit radiators that have the neck relocated).
currently the truck has a REALLY haggard looking plastic electric fan, just kind of hanging there by 2 screws and a piece of angle iron aluminum (looks like something youd use to finish some carpet flooring). holding on by 2 screws, flopping in the wind. im pretty sure its just gonna smack around against stuff, not cool anything. especially without a shroud.

so my question is, ... what do people do for these? ive seen the Swap Radiators, does anybody recommend or sell swap electric fans and shrouds?

clearance between the radiator and serpentine pulleys is CLOSE, so is a shroud even an option with these 5.0 swaps?

please let me know.

thanks a million.

- corey

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
not a big fan of the typical swap radiators.

i prefer electric fans.

use a taurus style fan, and inline cap and solid summit radiator like this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380425/overview/

you can replace your current core support easy enough so you can modify and fit it to suit your needs etc.

i have no qualms hacking the core support for flow and fitment....

lots of options for control.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fan-switches-thermal

i use a mustang or vette switch with parallel standard 40 amp relays in general for auto function.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used the Explorer 4.0 dual core radiator and stock explorer fan because I used the Explorer FEADon my 5.0. I cut the core support and moved the radiator slightly and welded another support in. It never gets hot even on 100 degree days here in Texas. Maybe when/if I ever put the A/C back it will be different. I have also used the Volvo electric fan setup on a BII and a '94 Ranger 4.0 with air. Both worked very well in terms of space and cooling.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
In my 83 with a 5.0 (see my build thread) I'm running an explorer 5.0 rad and 3.8 Taurus single efan and shroud with a thermostatic temp sensor to turn it on and off I only have low speed hooked up and have never over heated despite having the power fuse blow one day and ran all day without the fan (temp gauge was broken at the time). However using the explorer 5.0 rad, get ready to cut things. If I could do it again, I would do the explorer 4.0 rad dual core rad.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks for the pointers guys. Sounds like most of you are using repurposed oem fans from other fords. Taurus and explorer it sounds like. Does anybody use any aftermarket energetic fan solutions? I'm fine with the radiator I have in currently, I'm just looking for electric fan recommendations. Like I said, the gap between pulleys and radiator looks pretty tight, which is why I'm curious if there is a super low profile aftermarket electric fan somebody is making specific for these swaps.
Thanks for everything
- Corey

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Dual fan out of a svt contour is what im using

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Early 2000's Jeep Liberty v6 fan is what am running on my 94 with 4.0 radiator . The fan is a 18" fan and is about 3.5 inches deep if I remember I can get a couple pic's . Right now it's wired key on/run . And temps stay around 192 . I've also run it on my 87 turbo rx7 , which rotary run naturally hotter and my temps stay the same , but with a temp switch controlling ground , with a overide track switch to cool down In between runs . The fan pulls some air for sure

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Here you go . When you get the actual Efan assembly the Assembly is really big . I used it on my rx7 for a few years before I swapped to the ranger last month . The fan is actually 3" deep . And is wider then the stock radiator cores . My plan is to swap this one back to the rx7 since its trimmed for it and get another fresh fan and trim to fit .

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the jeep fans are good options as are the minivan fans....ford gm and chrysler.

currently i run the intech fwd v8 fan to cool my diesel. but i have a huge ass radiator as well and under load serious cooling needs.

the jist of using the oem fans is ease of getting them for dirt cheap from the junkyard and they are better then any shelf fan from the chain parts store. the permaflex/hayden style fans in aftermarket just dont do as well as the oem units in my experience. to buy a quality derele system for instance is not exactly cheap to say the least.

power level and actual in-situ mounting dictates what will work best.

CoreyTilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks sooooooo much guys. I guess I was just thrown off by how little room there is there. I just finished tracking down and installing a correct factory fan shroud for my 4x4 converted 351 swapped 82 Econoline. So after that I'm looking at this and I'm like "damn, what the hell is going to fit in that tight little spot". Apparently aLOT of options. Hahaha. I think I'm going with a Taurus setup as a few people in here recommend. I can get a dual electric fan for a 1990 3.8l Taurus for cheap so I think I'm going that route. Thanks again!!!!!!!!

- Corey

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals