• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rotors will not come off rust welded

Raw16057

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello I have an 06 ex cab 4x4 xlt. i need to change the rotors and i cannot remove them. here is what i have done so far, heated around the lugs with map gas used lots of wd40 and beat the hell out of the rotor with a 3 lb hammer. it will not move . The truck has 80,000 miles on the first set of rotors then they warped so i am going to change them if i can get them off anyone have any ideas that i havent tried please help. thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
8 lb hammer?

Hit the hub face between the studs. It is rare to be able to break the rust apart hitting the back side. Hitting the face sends vibrations through it and breaks it up. After a few good hits to all the inter-stud spaces go around the back side whacking it good and hard. They will come off.

Raw16057

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i dont have a 8 pound hammer and if i did i would not have the oom to swing it. i have beaten the hell out of the area between the studs. still no movement. i will look for a bigger hammer though. will heating the face hurt the bearings? this truck has stub axles with cv joints. i think the bearing is pretty deep inside but not sure. thanks for the info.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I normally recommend against those pullers. Also, I have had a very low success rate with heating rotors for removal.

I just caught that you said you were using WD-40 for a spray lube. WD-40 is good for many things, this job is not one of them. PB Blaster would be better as would Liquid Wrench. BG Inforce is the best stuff on the market as far as penetrating lubes go, but it can be both expensive and hard to get.

WD-40 is a silicone lubricant, it displaces and protects from liquid water, but doesn't do much else. You need a penetrating oil. As I said, BG Inforce.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For rusted on rotors I use the carriage bolt method...it's a little more elegant than swinging the hammer and a lot less chance of doing any unwanted damage. Here's a youtube video that gives you the gist of how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals