• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help on ABS light on

matt01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Been working on my 96 Ranger 2.3L 5mt rwd. It has rear only abs. Not 4 wheel abs like newer models. I've just finished doing maintenance of following and everything is working great except now the ABS light is on. I've owned the truck since 2003 and it's never come on before so I don't know if it's just coincidence or if I screwed something up. Maintenance just completed:

1. removed & replaced exhaust manifold to repair rusted off front flange bolt.
2. new plugs on pass side.
3. removed egr pipe, intake manifold, & fuel rail.
4. new plugs on drivers side.
5. new set of 4 pin injectors (upgrade from oe).

I put everything back together, reconnected all the connectors and vacuum lines that I know of and it's running great, no check engine lights, except that now the ABS light is on? I've looked all over and don't see anything I forgot to reconnect. This is the cheap rear wheel only ABS system, not the more modern 4 wheel ABS. I connected an obd2 code reader and there are no codes set. Reset it anyway, but makes no difference. When I first start engine the abs light is off, but only for about 1-2 seconds and then it goes on and stays on.

Thanks for you help

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you want my two cents, RABS sucks, throw the bulb away and be thankful it broke.

matt01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I don't know what to think. As mysteriously as it came on now it's off and staying off again? I did plug and unplug the connector on the block thingy under the frame rail where the brake lines connect a little while ago while I was under there changing the oil.

I dunno, the truck is getting old. The body still looks pretty good, but the frame is rusting away here in Chicago. Got rear ended a couple months ago and one of the rear leaf spring hangers broke off. Replaced those and the shackles, but eventually the frame is going to be it's demise. Wish I had a barn where I could take the body and bed off and sandblast the frame. I only drive the truck maybe 2-3 thousand miles a year and hardly ever in the winter since it's only 1 wheel drive. 145K miles and still running good so hopefully I can keep it running for another couple years. It's also got a 7 foot bed which I really like on those trips to the lumber yard. Too bad nobody makes one like it anymore. It's a real shame Ford gave up on the Ranger IMO.

Matt

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oddly enough, my 2 cents is also that RABS sucks. Especially on an open differential, where it can turn into 1-wheel ABS.

Now as for codes... OBD2 codes =/= ABS unit codes. 9/10 you will not get an ABS code with an OBD2 scanner. They sell OBD2/ABS/SRS scanners now for a reasonable price (innova is $150 on amazon) - I paid $85 for my OBD2 only unit.

Check the connection at the sensor - on the top forward aspect of the pumpkin.

matt01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the offer. I do have a shell. An aluminium job with windows that bubble out. They are so sun faded you can't see through them any longer. Bought a 4x8 sheet of tinted plexiglass several years ago and replaced the passenger side so I could see. I cut a piece for the drivers side, but have never gotten around to replacing it. I'll check the connector on the diff.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals