• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freeze-up/Seize up in the morning only

afdude88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2004 Ranger 4.0L FX4 (5-speed)

So I wasnt exactly sure where to post this thread so I'll just post it here. Lol

In the morning after I first start my truck and let it idle for at least a few minutes, I put 'er in gear and it seems like my parking brake is set. It isnt. I give 'er some more gas, at least 1/3 throttle, a loud pop, and my truck is free. It only does this when I first move 'er in the morning.

At first I thought that it may be my parking brake sticking in the cold. (10-20)degrees most mornings right now). So what I did was park my truck the night before while leaving the P-Brake OFF. Same issue.

I am really hoping that I dont have water contamination in my rear diff, that MAY explain the sticky drivetrain in the mornings. But about 11 months ago new bearings were installed in the rear diff and the fluid was changed to some HQ Synthetic from ford. (they did the work)\

Im hoping this is something simple or something I dont really have to worry about. This is my Daily Driver and I dont want anything to happen to 'er. Though if something is wrong I wouldnt mind taking 'er to the shop. I still got some warrenty mile left. 56,400ish Miles today. Gotta love that extended warrenty!!! :icon_thumby:

Any Help is Much Appreciated!!!!!

Maintenance Done To Truck
34,000 Mi - Front Left Wheel Bearing Went Out After Some Desert Fun West Of Salt Lake

43,000 Mi - Inner Tie Rod Ends Replaced, Rear Main Seal Replaced, Crankshaft Seal Replaced, Oil Pan Seal Replaced, New Bearings In Rear Axle

55,600 Mi - Idler Pulley Replaced, Starter Replaced (Defective Part!!!)

Oh and FYI - Her Name is Maria :)
[/IMG]

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, you've had some big problems at low mileage, kinda strange. I suspect the brakes are freezing up, if the rear had water in it, it would damn near have to be full to lock up the rear end and then you would have a lot of other problems too. Next time its cold, try hitting the brakes pretty hard before you begin to move. If the brakes are frozen you should be able to break the ice between the shoes and drums (rear) or disc and caliper (front) with just brake pressure. If that works you'll know. If not I'll be pondering what else it could be...

Of course the real way to find the issue is to jack the truck up in the morning and see which wheel/s is/are frozen and go from there. But not much fun doing that in 15 degree weather.

Last edited:

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had my rear ebrake cables replaced under warranty for my 06 Mustang last month, Ford ebrake cables are known for sticking in cold weather IIRC.

afdude88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I'll Definitely try hitting the brakes next morning like you said. Even if it is that i cant believe it would take as much throttle as it does to unstick em

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah my 97 used to do that too,pretty sure they freeze up over night but wouldnt hurt to pull a drum and check out the shoes.

Srphatness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem

I had the same problem. The rear brakes would lock up bad. Both time it was related to the E brake system

Note: irregular pad wear ( ) if the top side of the rear pad is wearing faster, this is your first indicator that the problem is e brake related

1. Make sure the E brake cable is fully releasing, if it get the slightest hole in the casing it will begin rusting out and freezing up quickly (Ive gone through 2)

2. Clean the mating surfaces between the E brake actuator (the thing the e brake cable is connected to) and the rear brake pad well with steel wool and some brake cleaner, lightly grease the mating surfaces to prevent the rust.

Hope this helps

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Be careful. Check out what happened here-link.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
that may explain why the backing plates on my 94 are in great shape but the wheel cylinders and brake hard ware was toast. Simple, they were replaced. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals