• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'87 Ranger Help!

sh4rky514

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I have a '87 Ranger 2.9L manual. I have recently been having an issue with what seems to be the fuel system, but and unsure and want some other feedback before I invest in the wrong thing.

So here we go, in the past I have had an issue where after the car runs on a hot day, the engine would seem to surge and buck/lose power when idling. Recently, it has been happening multiple time a week and sometimes more then once in a day.

When I come up to a light and the car is idling, it will began to surge the engine and drop RPMs and seem to rattle. If I push the accelerator, nothing happens, and I can put it all the way to the floor and nothing happens. It almost feels as if there is a pressure preventing the fuel from reaching the engine. The car will then after idling low, choke/cut itself out and will not start afterwards. After waiting a few minutes, it will finally turn back over (sometimes turning over with very high RPMs). I have also noticed the exhaust smelling much stronger recently and the area around the tailpipe on the body is black.

I am thinking about replacing the inline and intank fuel pumps, but want to get another opinion on what it could possibly be.

I have replaced abunch of parts on the car in the past including:
Idle-Control, TPS, PCV valve, complete coolant flush, thermostat, fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor (and corrected timing).

Open to any suggestions and opinions!

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Suggestion: Always test things before replacing them. Buy a factory service manual (eBay is a good source) and follow the test procedures therein. There are tests specifically for the fuel pumps.

The amount you spend on a service manual will quickly be recovered​ in not buying parts that don't need replaced.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Mine did a lot of this before I replaced the fuel pump. I ran it for awhile with the fuel pressure gauge connected to convince myself it was the pump.
Whenever it would start running wonky I would pull over, pop the hood, and look at the pressure. I found when it was running bad the fuel pressure was at 12 - 15 PSI. Replaced the pump and no more problems.

sh4rky514

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mine did a lot of this before I replaced the fuel pump. I ran it for awhile with the fuel pressure gauge connected to convince myself it was the pump.
Whenever it would start running wonky I would pull over, pop the hood, and look at the pressure. I found when it was running bad the fuel pressure was at 12 - 15 PSI. Replaced the pump and no more problems.
Which pump did you replace, the in tank or inline or both?

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I did the pump in the tank, I believe the 89 only has 1 pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals