• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Choosing a tow rig.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Im looking for a tow rig. lots of 80's Ford 150 and F250s around here for sale.

Id like to spend less than $2000.

Plan on trailering either my BII or Ranger

Which engine would be best for towing and what else should I look for?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Diesel and 8 lug wheels on the 250's which would, IIRC, indicate the heavier axles. The 300 (or 4.9 for those metrically inclined) also pull quite well. Better than the 302 IMHO.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd definatley find a 460 if I lived in Colorado. Mountains will kick the butt of anything smaller.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'd definatley find a 460 if I lived in Colorado. Mountains will kick the butt of anything smaller.
yeah I figure those steep grades would really give me trouble. I know the 2.9l ranger doesnt like em much.

checked craigslist for 460s and found some nice ones. I'll probably be selling or parting one of my rbvs to pay for it. Dont have room for 3 vehicles and a trailer. the addiction continues...................:D

I also found an 85 one ton van for 300 that could very well be my axle donor for the trail rig.

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
a 460 would be nice at this altitude but i would try and get one that is fuel injected, our old 86 f250 plow truck has a carbed 460 and its just a nightmare with all the emission crap under the hood and not to mention the beast gets horrible fuel economy. a smaller engine might do what you need just mite take a lil longer.- a buddy of mine has an old 80' f350 flatbed dully with a 351m in it and the other week we hauled a bobcat and alot of swimming pool panels and liners up over vail pass and it made it but struggled some- alot less then i thought i would have.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 351W 4bbl H.O was a strong engine, stay away from the 302. The 300 will more then do the job just dont get in much of a hurry with a heavy load.

later,
Dustin

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
definitely go with FI at that altitude. after that, motor with a good torque curve (not too high in the rpm's) and then axle gears to get the most out of everything. personally i prefer a manual so i can choose the gear rather than having an automatic shifting around trying to find which gear it wants. and no cooling issues with it compared with the auto. just my $.02.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the comments guys anything else you can think of post it up.

What year did ford begin using FI in these trucks.(300,460 etc.) I prefer a manuals as well and not only for the reasons that you listed.

yeah I dont need to run balls out all the time in a tow rig but having the power to take on the hills is a must.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 300 got EFI in 87, the 351 got it in 88, as did the 460. (Some) 302s got it in 85.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have the same control with an auto--just hold it down a gear if it hunts.

Climbing a hill is not a low-rpm torque event. It's a horsepower event. If you need 150hp to climb a grade at the speed you would like to climb it--a 300-6 will have the pedal to the floor at its maximum rpm and a 460 will be loafing up at 2/3 throttle. In Colorado where the hills are mountains and the sheep are nervous, I wouldn't want a 300. I think you lose 3% of your rated power per 1,000' because the air is getting thinner. If you are at 5,000' in Colorado, that 150hp 300 is making only 125hp. The 460 can still make the power.

I would, of course, suggest a turbodiesel which loses no power in the hills, but your budget was only $2k. So get the biggest motor you can get. A 460 is 65% larger than a 300 and is a more efficient motor as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals